"What was I thinking?"

"Leo was whining and telling you to hurry up, but you told him you didn't want to rush me," I recount with a soft smile on my face. "You weren't rushing me."

He smiles at my words and asks, "Have you done it to anyone else?" He continues to eat, not pressuring me to answer. I'm not sure what he's thinking.

"Connor and Asher," I reply honestly, though I panic internally when I realize I don't want to tell Sam what I heard in Asher's head. Sam cocks his head to the side, silently questioning me as to why I would read their minds. "Connor let me once, to help me trust him; he let me listen to an old conversation between him and his wolf."

Sam continues to smile lovingly as I recount the moment. He seems heartbroken, yet happy at the same time. I decide not to ruin the moment by asking about it.

"And Asher?" Sam asks the dreaded question. I highly doubt that he knows that Asher tried to kiss me. He doesn't even know how Asher's wolf feels about me or the struggle his best friend is having. From what little I know of Asher, I know he wouldn't burden his best friend with his girl problems after everything he's gone through.

I don't necessarily want to be the one to tell him, though. What if he freaks out? I don't want to be the thing that causes a rift between brothers.

You won't be, Eliza tells me, an irritated undertone in her voice. Asher will for trying to kiss you in the first place. Ass.

Hey, be nice, I scold; she really isn't Asher's biggest fan right now. His wolf misses his mate.

Yeah, but if his mistake screws things up for all of us, I will never forgive him, she tells me coldly, before retreating and refusing to listen to me. What a brat.

Though, fear settles in my chest when I think about what she said. What if Sam does get mad at me?

"Evelyn, what's wrong?" he asks, worry prevalent in his tone. "What was Asher thinking?"

"I, uh," I stutter, looking everywhere except for him.

"Evelyn, did he hurt you?" Sam questions me. My eyes dart to his then and I see the panic in his eyes.

I shake my head. "No, no. I promise, he didn't hurt me," I tell him. I could feel him getting tense and angry just thinking about it. "I just...I don't want you to get mad at me."

"Mad at you? Evelyn, why-"

"-he tried to kiss me," I blurt out. I slap my hands over my mouth to stop myself from spilling any more, but now I know I have to continue. Sam's eyes are wide and his mouth is hanging open from the sentence he never finished. "I...Sam, I...he..."

"When?" he asks. There is no anger in his voice, but I think the lack of any emotion at all may be worse.

"A few days ago," I tell him. "I did a spell to see what was going on with you, that's how we found out for certain that you were cursed in the first place," I babble. "Nothing happened, I didn't let him; you'd know if I had. I just-" I cut myself off and ruffle my hair absentmindedly. Sometimes I do that when I'm extremely nervous; thankfully, Sam doesn't know that yet. "We talked about it and I know he feels guilty about it."

"And when did you read his mind?" Sam asks, not offering me a single clue as to what he's thinking. I know I could find out fairly easily, but that doesn't feel like the right thing to do right now.

I force myself not to break our eye contact as I tell him what happened. As quickly as possible, I explain how Asher fought his wolf down when they really thought the curse wouldn't break. I try to explain just how genuine of a friend Asher is, going so far as to try and find another solution so we could be happy. Sam keeps his eyes on mine, searching for something, though I'm not sure what. He continues to stay quiet and so many emotions pass through his hazel irises that I don't know what to think.