Chapter Seventeen

"Evelyn!"

Having just emerged from the trees from Sam and my run home, I wasn't exactly expecting anyone to be calling for me. Before I can even shift into my natural form, I notice Marianne and Penelope rushing towards me; they look ready to burst with anticipation. What is going on?

As soon as I'm standing clothed on my own two feet, Sam steps out from behind the trees shifted himself and dressed in a pair of shorts. He steps forward to grab my hand, eyeing his mother and Penelope warily. 

"What's going on? You're not stealing her," Sam all but growls, pulling me closer to him. Marianne gives him an unamused look while Penelope looks absolutely terrified. 

I'm trying not to swoon visibly. 

"Evander, the ceremony will be starting in one hour. You've already hogged her all day," Marianne tells him in a voice that indicates he will not win any argument he tries to start. Hearing them fight over me like this is a little weird; I wish it would stop. "You need to get yourself showered and ready. We are going to take Evelyn to help her get ready."

Hopefully this time she doesn't shove me into such a revealing dress. 

"Why don't I get help getting ready?" Sam pouts. 

"I'm sure Connor would love to help you do your make-up, love," I tease, squeezing his hand gently. He turns to glare at me, though it doesn't last long before he chuckles and pulls me close to him. 

"I love you," he whispers to me, gently pressing a kiss to my forehead. "I'll come find you soon."

The thought of leaving him does make my heart ache, but getting ready with Marianne and Penelope really sounds fun, too. 

And, I hate to admit it, but he really does need to shower. I can feel Eliza ready to retort, probably to suggest that we shower with him.

I'm not ready for that yet, I snap at her before she can. 

Geez, I was just going to say that you need to shower, too, stinky, Eliza mutters to me coldly. But, since you brought it up, showering with him does sound like an efficient way to do things.

You're impossible, I grumble before brushing her away and focusing on Sam. 

I press my lips to his gently, pulling away too quickly for my liking. "I'll see you soon, then," I whisper. Before we can say anything else, two sets of hands grab me and begin to drag me away. 

Before I know it, they've dragged me to Marianne's room and have me standing in front of her bed that has three beautiful dresses laid out. 

"I was hoping you would wear this black one," Marianne tells me, lifting it slowly. The neckline appears much more modest than what she had picked out for me last time. The short bodice feels soft, made of velvet. Dark satin falls from the waistline elegantly and I know there's no way I can turn down this dress.

"Thank you, Marianne, I truly appreciate you letting me borrow your clothes," I tell her, honestly feeling embarrassed that I need to. 

"Nonsense, I want you to," she tells me. "They are so beautiful and they just don't get worn often enough. Come, now. Shower and get cleaned up."

Half an hour later, after showering and being sat in a chair, Penelope pins my hair up messily, yet somehow it looks sleek and elegant. Marianne fusses over my make-up, speaking incoherently as she applies different shades of grey and black to my eyes. 

Somehow, the two managed to get ready while I was in the shower. Penelope's light blue dress complements her new contacts nicely and fits her figure beautifully. Marianne's dress is a brilliant white, a nice contrast to her dark hair, skin, and eyes. They both look stunning.