Chapter Twenty-Five

"Is she awake yet?" Sam; he's hopeful.

"Not yet." Mom; she's sad.

A defeated sigh.

"I guess I'm glad she didn't wake up while I was gone." Sam; he's sad, now.

Eliza, what are you doing? I struggle to question my wolf, though thinking is hard right now. What's going on?

I'm narrating the room so you know what's happening, she says as if I should have known. Honestly, as annoying as it is, she's pretty helpful. 

Where are we? Why can't I open my eyes? I ask her, ignoring her ridiculous narrations.

We're in a hospital room. I'm not sure why, she answers. I don't remember what happened. I was hoping you could tell me.

I used all my energy healing my mother and I passed out, I tell her, remembering the memories vividly. She looked like a dirty, discarded doll; it tore my heart out.

You pass out a lot, Eliza comments.

Wait, you said Mom was talking? I ask, disregarding her judgement for the time being. That means she's okay?

Yeah, Evie, she's okay, she assures me. So is your dad. He went to get coffee.

"It's been five days," Sam whispers, his voice cracking. Five days? "Will she wake up at all?"

He's afraid.

I can tell that, Eliza, thank you, I respond sarcastically.

Well, you were out of it for a second there, she defends. I'm just trying to help. You don't have to be so bitchy.

You're bitchy, I retort.

Your face is bitchy.

I wish I could open my eyes so I could roll them.

"I don't know, Evander," my mother's voice rings out, followed by a sniffle. She's crying. "No one has ever had her power before so no one knows how it works. She told us it had to do with her energy, she gives the victim her energy so their body can use it to expedite the healing process. If she gave me too much energy and doesn't have enough left for herself, then..."

"Then, we don't know where to get the energy for her body to heal," my father finishes for her, his voice is quiet. He must be back with the coffee. "There's no equipment to test for it, either. We just need to trust that her body is building up its energy on its own. She will wake up when her body is ready."

"Eliza will help her," my mother whispers; her voice sounds so fragile. "Eliza has always protected her."

Evelyn.

Not now, Eliza, I hush, wanting to eavesdrop.

"What if her body isn't building up its energy?" Sam asks. "What if she never wakes up?" His voice is panicked and cracking. He's about to start crying. "I can't lose her. Not yet. Not after everything I did to he-"

He cuts himself off, as if he was about to say something he didn't want to.

"Wait, what?" my mother asks.

"What did you do to her?" my father asks, his tone indicates that he is trying to keep from getting angry.

Evelyn.

Sh!

"I, uh, it's not-" Sam tries. "I didn't do anything, I mean, I did, but it wasn't me. I-"

"Evander," my mother's voice cuts him off, her voice demanding. "What the hell happened between you two? Does it have something to do with why she marked you?" Her tone is level, commanding yet calm. Sam is quiet, I can only assume he nodded.