(Bonus) Chapter One

Penelope's POV

"I'll let you two get acquainted."

The woman - Evelyn - gives me an encouraging smile before leaving the kitchen. I suddenly feel suffocated as my eyes fall on my gorgeous mate. His arms are still wrapped securely around me as I sit on the counter and I know it's stupid, but I can't help but feel nervous now that we're alone. 

I have no idea what to say. I mean, what a way to make a first impression. 

He's your mate, Penny, my wolf snaps at me. Who cares about your first impression?

I do, Camina! I exclaim back. He's gorgeous and charming and I look like a mess! He's the Gamma, Cam. I'm no special girl.

You're a stupid girl is what you are, Camina retorts. Do whatever you want, I'm going to sit back and enjoy this view. 

My wolf purrs happily as she retreats into my mind.

I have no idea what to even think. On one hand, my mate is standing right in front of me. I feel so incredibly happy and giddy, especially because he clearly feels the same way. On the other hand though...

I'm a fairy!?

I don't think this is something Camina will ever be able to understand.

How is this even possible?

I always thought hybrids were a myth, something of a legend. Now I find out they not only exist, but I am one?

Part of me wants to chase after Evelyn and ask her for everything she knows. Though, I know she won't be able to help me, really. She's obviously a witch, given that she used magic to help me. And, while I couldn't smell it, something inside of me is telling me that she's a wolf, too. 

I want to know about fairies.

I need to know about fairies. 

"Penelope?"

I snap back to reality at the sound of a silky smooth voice and my eyes instantly meet green irises. 

"Hi, yes. I'm sorry," I stutter out, feeling the blush rising to my cheeks. "I'm sorry, I just..." I trail off, not really sure what to say. I feel so overwhelmed. 

Tears threaten my eyes and I close them to focus on taking a few deep breaths. 

"It's okay," he tells me gently, brushing a strand of hair from my face. I open my eyes to catch him observing me with admiration. I blush even harder. "I like it when you blush." I didn't think it was possible to get even redder, but I think my skin found a way to do it. "Sorry, I'll stop that," he chuckles. 

"So, Connor," I test out his name, loving the way it feels and sounds. From the look on his face, I think he likes it, too. A shiver runs down my spine and I close my eyes to regain my thoughts. 

"Penelope," he replies huskily, sending another shiver down my spine. 

"You're my mate," I say stupidly. Gods I want to hit myself. I peek my eyes open to see him grin and nod his head. "Twice over..." I trail off as I think about it. Fairies have mates; well, nymphs do. Which is what I am. 

Why am I so scared?

Because Evelyn said people shouldn't know, yet. And that can only mean that I'm in danger, right?

So many different scenarios run through my head. Is someone hunting us? Is someone trying to kill us? 

Connor's eyes glaze over and a flurry of emotions crosses his face. I see anger, confusion, sadness, determination, and some emotions I don't even have words to describe. He squeezes me gently, holding me even closer to him. Tucking his face into my neck, he inhales my scent and sighs happily.