Chapter Five

I have never cared for crowds or loud settings; I much prefer smaller gatherings. 

Everyone around me had been buzzing nonstop about a big party coming up. Now, standing in the large party hall with the magical lights and gorgeous decorations, I understand what all the fuss is about. The food is crafted to perfection, its appearance so mouth-watering it almost seems fake. Music plays quietly in the background, a tasteful band being the source off in a corner. Maybe I could get used to parties.

"So, what exactly is this party for?" I ask Asher, turning to watch him carefully. I sip my drink, careful not to spill on the beautiful dress Marianne let me borrow.

Her brilliant idea was to put me in the most revealing dress she owned. She told me it was to help with Evander's coldness towards me. Why she thought that this would help with Evander, I don't know. I'm fairly certain she was lying when she said it anyway, I just didn't pry. Besides, her and Asher both seem convinced that Evander only wants his mate and they don't know I'm his mate. Why would she want me drawing his attention this way?

Maybe they do know I'm his mate.

Or maybe Marianne just thinks I need some action to brighten my mood. That's more likely. 

Nonetheless, the navy blue dress clings to my skin. A v-shaped neckline plunges down almost to my belly button, two thin shoulder-straps being the only things holding the garment over my body. Sheer fabric falls from the cinched waist elegantly, a long opening running all the way up my right thigh. I shudder, trying not to think of how revealing it truly is. 

"To celebrate the end of the training season."

I look up at Asher, pushing aside the thoughts about the dress and Evander. The training season is over? Doesn't that mean that some wolves will be returning to the Red Moon pack? Like Amelia's mate. I voice my thoughts to him, searching the room.

"Yes," he tells me. "Any wolf you see wearing a navy blue arm tie is a fighter choosing to stay in our pack, the red arm ties are for warriors leaving for Red Moon tomorrow."

"Are any of your wolves leaving for Red Moon?" I ask, mentally counting the armbands on the wolves around me. A beautiful woman in a stunning green dress passes by me and I notice the red tie on her upper arm. Women fight in this pack, too?

"Mabel," Asher calls, causing the woman I noticed to stop and step towards us.

"Beta," she acknowledges politely.

"Mabel, here, was second in her class," Asher tells me. "She is the only wolf we have leaving for Red Moon this season. She won't tell us why, though." I can tell Asher is exceptionally curious as to why she is leaving. I mean, I am, too. Who wouldn't be disappointed to lose such a skilled fighter.

"He talks all proud," Mabel says with a wave of her hand. "He's only proud because he's the only one who thought I wasn't weak because I'm female. Now his male ego is inflamed because I proved everyone wrong and he was on my team." I chuckle quietly at her remarks whereas Asher rolls his eyes at her, only causing the two of us to laugh a little harder. "I was only training to be a tracker. The fighting courses are a lot lighter, but being able to pummel some of these assholes to the ground was a good feeling," she tells me, turning to face me a little more and ignoring Asher's presence altogether, now.

"Well, fine then," Asher grumbles before stalking off and muttering, "I pulled you in to prove a point, didn't have to take over the whole conversation." Mabel only laughs and waves her hand again as he walks away. I am left confused about the relationship they have but have no time to think about it before she continues to talk.