9: Margarita

My eyes shoot open to the sound of my ringtone. Groaning, I sit up on the bed and scratch my hair. My laptop is near my feet, ready to fall to the floor and crack with the slightest movement. I bent over and take it in my arms, my eyes widened at the thought of it breaking.

My phone is still ringing, so I check who's calling. Seeing it's Olivia, I happily pick up.

"Hey, Loser, where have you been all day?"

Her tone is joyous and I can't help but smile too.

"What do you mean by all day?"

"I've texted you a hundred times, and you never even saw the texts at the group chat."

I bang my head against the wall behind me. "I'm sorry, I was sleeping. How did it go?"

"I'm not going to tell you!" Olivia exclaims from the other end of the line. "Meet me at the skate park as soon as you can, okay?"

"Aye aye captain," I say with a laugh and end the call.

I get up and unlock the door before making my way to the kitchen. My stomach is growling, which is not surprising considering I never even ate proper breakfast and later I was too mad at my parents to get out of my room.

"Aw, look who decided to wake up!" Dad coos. "I knew bears hibernated only in winter."

I shoot him a glare but he only laughs. "Give me food."

"Are you a baby?"

"No."

"Do you have hands?"

I hide my arms behind my back. "No."

Dad rolls his eyes. "Well, then you're going to starve I suppose."

I huff and cross my arms.

"I'm making your favourite food for dinner," he says finally.

Smiling, I surprise him with a hug. "Thanks, Dad. Will you also make me a sandwich now?"

"No."

I immediately let go of him and open the cupboards and fridge to get the ingredients I need. I eat it in a few big bites and rush back to my room to slip in a less wrinkly outfit to meet Olivia.I get on my skateboard and take my time to go to the park. For one, I'm not fully awake yet and for another, I love how the breeze strokes my face with my hair. Whoever is painting the sky has done a good job, again, going for orange and gold tones on a light blue base.

When I get to the park I notice Olivia is already there, skating on the big ramp. I sit on my skateboard and stare at her gliding from one side to another, executing backside smith and fakey noseblunt stalls. I don't laugh even when she falls on her butt. Her performance has been too good until then.

"Hey!" she shouts as she gets up. "How long have you been sitting there?"

I get up too. "Not too long. So, what happened?"

Olivia grins. Now that she's more tan than usual, her teeth look even brighter. "18.8! Well, 18.865 to be exact."

My jaw drops but I pull her in a hug. "Me too! I mean, somewhere around there. I never checked."

Olivia squeezes my shoulder. "That's awesome but also...Isn't that a little low for Med?"

With a sigh, I let go of her and explain everything. Her smile falls and she only nods when I tell her my plan of requesting re-evaluation of my exam.

"I hope it all works out, Summer."

I shrug. "How's Alex?"

Olivia shakes her head. "He scored 12.5 or something."