17: Black Espresso Pt. 1

"This is a horrible idea."

I shuffle my hands in the pockets of my hoodie. "You've told me that a hundred times and still you're going through with it."

"Yeah, try sleeping when you know someone is idiotic enough to go after drug dealers," Kal whispers.

It's currently three AM and we're walking down the street where we spotted the dealers the previous time. Thankfully, it's not a starry night and the moon doesn't cast a strong glow. Instead, it's hidden behind thin clouds. All the lights are off except for the street lamps and no one makes a sound, aside from howling dogs and the ocassional cat meow.

"Try sleeping when you know said dealers could hunt you down," I reply with a shrug. I don't actually believe it's going to happen, but you know how it goes: the chances are low but never zero.

"And we're going to help them by providing them a good look on our faces?"

I zip up my hoodie full way and bunch its strings so much that the fabric covers my whole head and face, except for my mouth and nostrils. "Not if we approach them like this, no."

I hear Kal chuckle and my chest inflates with pride. There's nothing more rewarding than people who laugh at my jokes. Lifting up the hoodie only so I can actually see, I notice his hand is slapped on his mouth.

"I shouldn't be laughing!" he whisper-yells.

Nudging his shoulder I say, "Dude, we're alone out here."

"Maybe we should try different alleys?"

My eyes widen as a grin spreads across my face. "You're right!"

Kal's eyes widen too, but he doesn't seem too happy. "No, forget I said that."

"C'mon, Kal! Maybe they're at the old Trader Joe's and selling their stuff. We won't even have to get too close. I'll just snap a photo of their license plate and we'l be done."

Kal develops a pained expression, as if he just drank a litre of lemon juice. "Why does that kind of make sense? Am I losing my mind too?"

I grab him from the wrist and drag him towards the old store and, soon enough, he stops pretending he doesn't want to come along and walks without shuffling his shoes on the pavement.

As we get closer to Trader Joe's I realise there's no way we can go closer and not be noticed. There are at least ten people outside holding lit cigarettes or joints, puffing out smoke. There's no car or van in sight.

I stand on my toes and lean towards Kal. "I think we should get going."

"You think?" he replies, shaking his head. "Why did I ever listen to you?"

"More walking, less talking," I say and turn on my heel.

"Hey! Jason, is that you?"

Oh dear God.

My body freezes as I hear one of the -for the luck of a better word- junkies shout to us.

"Jason! Who's that with you?"

"Let's slowly walk away," Kal whispers and I nod.

As if I could move any faster.

Everything seems to be going alright, except for the fact that we have a shift in a few hours. But no. I hear footsteps, and next thing I know one of the junkies is coming close to us, saying how excited they are about the new batch.

It was nice being alive.

"Hey, wait up!"

Without turning back I say, "I forgot the pack at my house, gotta go, see you soon!" and with that I break into a run as if my life depends on it. Because, you know, it could.