27: Marshmallow Pt. 1

"Jason, what in the world?" I whisper

The boy looks back at the alley and then at me, eyes wide. He doesn't utter a word but gestures for me to follow him, which I don't. I give him the most disappointed look I can muster and run back to the other side of the road and to my house, glancing back every few steps to make sure I'm not followed.

I'm overflowed with relief when I reach my front yard and attach Lucky's collar to the leash.

We're safe

I run in my room and make sure to lock the window. Laying on my bed I take out my phone to check the video I was recording. Jason can be recognised with some effort, which means that with the slightest enhance the police should have a clear image.

Damn Android cameras, I should switch to iOS

I lay with my face buried under my pillow, thinking how could Jason do something like that. How can the same guy who calls me Strawberry Shortcake smoke weed, much less distribute it? How long has he been doing it?

I take in a big breath. I shouldn't be thinking about these. I'll do the right thing, which is to contact the police and tell them what I know. Then, hopefully, they'll do something with it.

When I wake up the next day I'm met with a text from Jason, asking if we can meet up. Without a second thought, I screenshot it and send it to Kal.

all.time.kal: idk, if you like him go ahead.

Then I remember Kal knows nothing about last night, so I ask him to meet up before deciding what to do with Jason. Ten minutes later we're in the kitchen, stuffing our faces with strawberries and pretending talking about Maze Runner until my parents leave.

When my dad finally leaves, Kal gulps down his food and says "I really hope you didn't drag me here for dating advice."

"I saw Jason yesterday," I blurt. "He was with them. I saw him coming out of the alley, the van was parked in the front again."

Kal's jaw drops so much it might fall on the table.

"Yeah, so he saw that I saw and now he wants to talk to me."

Kal shakes his head. "Why did you go after them? How did you even find them?"

Waving my hand, I say, "It was an accident, really. The important thing is, what do we do? Do we tell the police about Jason or stick to the plate number? Do I meet Jason? Do you think he might try to convince us not to talk?"

Kal scratches his jaw. "Yeah, probably." A huff escapes his lips, the air lifting up the hair falling on his forehead. "But we should talk with him first, too. After all, if we turned him in he'd just go to jail for a few years and have his life ruined while the real bad guys would only replace him."

I take a sip of water from my cup. "Okay, sounds good. Where should we meet him? Open space so he does no funny business or a closed one so we can have more privacy and not let him escape?"