Chapter 11

The storm picked up again and I was glad to be home and wrapped in a cozy blanket. I had grabbed the book I was reading and Cupid had brought her bone onto the couch so she could lay next to me. I flipped Midnight at the Blackbird Café open and picked up from where I had left off.

Out of the corner of my eye there was movement. When I looked there wasn't anything there.

"I'm seeing things." I told Cupid as I shook my head and found my place on the page again.

Cold air tickled my neck, making me jump and look over my shoulder. I caught a glimpse of a figure. Cupid looked over and growled lightly.

"It's okay girl." I told her, "I just thought I saw something."

I couldn't focus on the book at all after that so I put on Gilmore Girls instead. I kept looking behind me. It felt like I was being watched. Like someone was standing just out of my line of view. I even got up to check out the window but there was no one outside and besides for the growl when I jumped Cupid was just chewing on her bone.

I walked into the kitchen to get a drink from the fridge when something hit the window. I screamed at the noise. With my hand over my heart I went to look at what happened. Whatever it was had hit hard enough for it to crack. Cupid was now up and barking like crazy. I went outside to see if it had been a bird or something.

I couldn't find anything.

I went back inside and locked the door behind me. I found my phone and called my landlord first.

"Hello?" My landlord answered.

"Hey Tom it's Jacelynn, something just hit my window from outside and the glass is cracked." I told him.

"Okay, are you going to be home for the rest of the day?" He asked.

"Yes." I told him, "But it is raining out here right now."

My landlord lived on the other side of town and just because it was raining here did not mean he was getting the same weather.

"That's okay, I want to come check it. I'll tape it for now and get the measurements to see if I have a replacement already or not." Tom responded.

"Okay, I'll be here." I told him and hung up.

Tom was a great landlord. In the two months I had seen him around fixing things my neighbors had called about. He had told me when I had moved in that I could call about anything and he would get it taken care of as soon as he could. He had multiple properties around town and kept a stock in his garage of things that could need replaced so he'd be able to get things done quickly.

I was pacing back and forth across my living room as I called Star.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Hey so something hit my window and cracked it. And I spent some time at the manor with a girl I met there with the power out." I said.

"So, you've had a busy day." Star said, "Are you okay? Do you know what hit your window? Was the girl nice?"

"No idea what hit the window but the landlord is coming to take a look at it and tape it." I answered, "She seemed nice her name is Nadi. She was in the library reading when the power went out so we waited out the storm a bit talking."

"At least you didn't end up there alone."

"Yeah that would have been beyond creepy."

"Well do you want me to come over and hang out?" Star asked.

"Sure." I said.

"Okay, I'm going to grab food on the way and I have a guy to tell you about." She told me.