Chapter 22

I was surprised how easy it was to remember how to get to Eve's. I felt like I barely even thought about where I was going. I was just suddenly on the dirt road that led to her house. I thought about stopping at the end of the road and waiting for Rowan to get there with Star and Cupid, but I wanted to get to Eve. I wanted this all to make sense.

I drove up the road thinking about what I was going to say to Eve. Someone was dead because of me and I knew it had something to do with the man from the mirror. When I pulled up, I parked and turned the 4runner off, I didn't move past that. I started to cry.

I don't know how much time passed but tapping on my window drew my attention to it. Eve was standing outside my 4runner and there were headlights heading thins way. I opened the driver door.

"Something happened." She stated.

"Yes, Rowan said he would text Kerri so you would know we were on the way." I responded.

"Kerri is out at a movie with Matt, I doubt she's gotten the text yet." Eve said, "Let's get inside and you can tell me what happened."

I nodded and let her help me out the 4runner. The headlights turned down some side road leaving us only the porch light as I followed Eve inside. She ushered me to the couch and then sat down facing me taking my hands.

"I went on a blind date and a plant killed him." I said.

"A plant killed him?" She asked.

"Yes." I answered and pulled the pieces of the plant out of my pocket, "This plant."

She took it from me and examined it.

"This is Witch's Hair." She said, "It's known for pretty much wrapping itself around a host plant, but it's not a fast-moving thing."

"Well it was tonight. Darren tripped over a root that was gone when the officers got there as was the plant. I watched it wrap around him and then it was gone and he just looked like he had been stabbed." I said, "I went out with him and now he's dead."

"Jacelynn, you didn't do this." Eve said as she patted my hand.

There was a knock on the door and Eve went to answer it. Rowan, Star, Cupid, and a lady I didn't know came in. Rowan brought Cupid over to me and sat next to me. Star followed slowly looking confused. Eve was talking to the lady, it looked like they knew each other.

"What happened?" Star asked, "Did Darren do something?"

"No, but he's dead." I told her, "He tripped and this plant came and wrapped around him and when I got back with help it looked like he'd been stabbed and the plant was gone."

"Well for one, all of you are staying here tonight." Eve said, "Jacelynn, this is Anne, she's in another small coven here and she said Star called her earlier to ask about the man you've been seeing in the mirror."

"Hi." I greeted looking at her long flowy green skirt and white tank top.

She looked around the same age as Eve. Her long light brown hair was braided.

"I'm going to show you to the guest suit Kerri and I set up and you can make yourselves comfortable while I go talk to Anne." Eve told us and motioned for us to follow her through a door I hadn't noticed before, "The couches are futons and can be folded down by pressing a button near the base. How about you all relax and watch TV for a bit, try to clear your mind Jacelynn."

I nodded.

Rowan went and sat on one of the futons, he turned on the TV. Star led me over and I sat between them but soon found myself with my head on Star's lap as she ran her fingers through my hair. Rowan grabbed my legs and put the over his lap.