Chapter 21

"I think that dress is too tight." My mom said as I observed my body in the mirror. I had on a red dress that I bought years ago and I've never worn it. My mom and Lira had came over for the first time since we've been here and are helping me figure out what to wear tonight to dinner with Chris, and to take the kids with them but to also help me.

"It's not too tight, mom, I've worn dresses this tight. Just say you don't like it." I said

Lira chuckled, "It's not that, she just thinks you look like a hooker."

"Because it's red?"

"I mean...and it's tight." My mom added

I rolled my eyes as I pulled it over my head.

"Okay, I've tried on 4 dresses already and there's only one more up for consideration. I can't just wear anything, this place is really formal and upscale." I said as I rummaged through my closet to find that specific dress.

I spotted it in the back of my closet and pulled it off of the hanger it hung on.

They both scrunched their faces up, "I don't..like it." Lira said

"It doesn't look too appealing now because it's not on me, give me a second." I said and begin to pull the dress on.

After I had it on and adjusted properly, I turned to them.

My mom nodded, and Lira gave a thumbs up, "You're right, it definitely looks better on. I think that's the one." Lira said

"See! Now I can pair any heels with this, I have a ton of those. I just need to fix my hair because it's been a mess and I'll be all set."

I turned back to the mirror to make sure the dress was just right.

"You've gone through hell to find the perfect dress, why are you making this a big deal anyway? You two have been on countless dates." My mom asked

"Yeah, we have, but we haven't been since I've been out of my coma and we've been back in each others lives. I want to set an impression—"

"In other words, ma, she wants to get her man back so she has to look her best, y'know..show him what he was missing." Lira said and eyed me through the mirror.

I turned and smiled at her, my mom playfully rolled her eyes, brushing both Lira and I off.

I eventually ended up taking the dress off and throwing on some house clothes until it was time to get ready.

I sat on the bed while my mom sat at the foot of the bed and Lira sat in the chair I had at my dresser.

"So, where exactly are you guys going?" My mom asked

"To the place we went for our very first formal date. It's an Italian like restaurant, on the expensive side...I loved my experience there that's why I don't mind going again."

Lira looked up from intently scrolling and typing on her phone, "And he's paying for it?" She asked as she placed her phone down

"Um, yeah."

"An expensive date, all expenses paid...you know he's just trying to get back in good." Lira said

My mom looked at me with an annoyed facial expression, obviously annoyed by what Lira said, then looked to Lira.

"And if he is?" My mom asked

"Right, let him, that's the point. He's redeeming himself so whatever needs to be done—let him." I said

She sighed, "I just don't want you to fall for this and he hurts you again."

"I understand where you may be coming from but I disagree. Im sure he won't deliberately hurt me again when he's been trying his hardest to gain me and my trust back. This is just the beginning for us. No one said I was going to go to the alter right now and marry him, it's just a date, and we're taking it slow."