hands of solace (bonus 1)

THE PAST
i can't help but remember you

//

Serenity likes appreciating the things around her.

whether it was the gold framed paintings at the museum, her favourite book on her shelf, her nuclear family at the dinner table, the way the shopping mall looks at Christmas time or even herself on the days she's pleased of her outfit. she likes to appreciate the small things because they're big in her eyes.

she has always lived with the idea that temperance is a human's biggest weakness. everything ends eventually, not just life but also love, hatred, family, wealth and freedom. she notices the pattern in all aspects of life, especially when things go out of control. that's when we feel humanely angry, not at the world but at ourselves because well, if you know about temperance, why weren't you ready to lose someone, something?

even now as she looks at Taehyung, she knows she won't get to call him hers forever. it'll hurt but she'll be ready won't she? and he'll be ready too right? it's a bitter taste in her mouth as she licks her lips, wondering what they'll be like in the future. will they even be friends? she hopes so.

what would drive them apart?

she quickly snaps out of the moment when she brings herself back to focus on the present. this is what lies before you.

temperance sits in the bottom of her stomach as she watches Taehyung. she's seen him through different lenses, in different situations but when he's quiet, so is his mind, including hers. he radiates calmness which is a contrast to what must be going on his mind. her chestnut eyes can't seem to focus anywhere else, just him. she could easily focus on anything else, like the fairy lights in the cafe, the busy male owner (a friend of Taehyung's) who continues smiling despite the everyday college rush, the passing strangers in the autumn breeze, the group of students who came here to study but are now creating a bucket list or even the sound of jazz playing from the corner of the spacious room that's been remodelled.

but no, in this moment, like many others, Serenity just sees Taehyung. she really sees him and she usually has terrible eyesight. she doesn't see his brown curls- his bed hair that she woke up to, his wakeful and concentrating eyes, his tongue darting out to lick his lips at the same time she does the same action or his thrifted sweater vest.

no, she sees him. she sees through him and her soul brushes against his so intimately it's as if they don't need anything else. even when they remember each other, their souls are in unison.

he's studying and she's not. does studying a person count? is a question that floats through her mind as she sits next to her boyfriend, her university boyfriend who's looking down at a bunch of questions she'd never understand. sure he's tried to explain but she ended up just ranting about how he's too clever. he doesn't think much of himself but Serenity can't help but feel like she's looking up at a pedestal.

their chairs are close together but their legs are barely touching. their bodies are inches apart as if there's three long rulers stuck between their shoulders. Taehyung is looking down, pen in his hand as his foot taps against the wooden floorboards. she likes how alone he is in his own bubble. the hole in his melanin nose is vacant as the top of his pen brushes against it accidentally, eyes still focused down. he's not struggling, no he's doing well. his girlfriend can tell from how he's finishing each question in a matter of a few minutes. clever, so clever, she bites her lip.

"will you stop staring at me?" the boy lifts his eyes to hers so swiftly that it makes her heart skip. sometimes, her boldness drops and her shyness engulfs her. "you have assignments to do don't you?" what a contrast. normally she's the one telling him off to go to sleep, eat his meals and to focus.

dream a little dream of me by Ella Fitzgerald plays in the climate of the cafe, it adds to the warmth and Serenity can't help but sing along. Taehyung smiles softly, still looking down. she replies eventually, "mhm yeah, i have a paper on trauma and therapy."

Serenity sighs, "but i want to focus on you."

she brings her chair closer, leg stroking his unintentionally. her touch makes him look at her. she leans her face against the palm of her hand, ring pressing coldly against her skin. "am i distracting you?" she questions in a murmur, focusing on the boy's face.

a few seconds pass, "no."

"you hesitated," Serenity smiles, catching him from her observation. "i am right?" he'd never tell her, he's too polite.

"no." you're not distracting me.

Serenity leans forward, tugging at the end of his sweater with a smile across her face. magic with him. "you can never be mean to me, you are so whipped." she can't help but laugh.

Taehyung shrugs, meeting her eyes as his hand reaches across to squeeze her hand. his hand is hot, boiling hot whilst hers are cold. "i am whipped for you."

she holds on.

Taehyung kisses the back of her hand ever so softly, still looking at her before going back to his questions. she feels healed. "stop staring," he tells her off. "there is nothing to stare at." he mutters under his breath.

"how dare you call that nothing?" she scoffs, leaning back in her chair and crossing one leg over the other. "you are just admirable when you focus." she mentions, feeling her heart knot at how he truly looks admirable all the time. every moment with him makes her want to write, scream and cry.

"and you are admirable all the time baby." Taehyung responds smoothly and Serenity blushes, briefly glancing at her own paper.

her eyes immediately land back on Taehyung and this time he's looking at her with unexplainable feelings in his eyes. brown and brown, almost black. warmth, love, care, desire. she only knows because they're mirroring hers.

"come here," Taehyung brings her closer, pulling her chair. "give me your hand." her hand falls into his and the two feel giddy.

Serenity smiles at how small her hand looks in Taehyung's, the back of it flat against his palm. hers feel coarse compared to his. she watches as he brings his ballpoint pen, starting to write on her hand. she can't see what he's writing but the corner of his pinkish lips have turned upwards and there's a slight red tone to his cheeks. how kissable.

a giddy and in love Serenity brings her hand back, turning it over to see what the boy had written, i'll make love to you when we get home.

Serenity pulls her bottom lip into her mouth, biting slowly. she's suddenly on edge, thrilled. she stays quiet, no longer speaking a lot but she's smiling and so is her heart.

Taehyung smiles. he's been watching her now. "that made you shut up huh?" a loud laugh slips through his lips and he tugs her closer with ease, "give me my kiss."

their lips meet in the midst of the cafe they had never visited before. Taehyung likes studying in busy places and Serenity simply can't but they get to spend time together. her hands wrap around the back of his neck, tracing the tiny tattoo that lies there as she closes her eyes. Taehyung's large hand strokes along her heated neck, caressing her cheek and she feels him smile through the kiss.