Fly Into The Night

Beginne am Anfang

Smiling against better judgment, Dany shook her head. She might've tried to get to him, and maybe did, but if that was the case, Jaime didn't let it show. She only hoped he didn't regret taking their side instead of the one he had been born into.

-o-

Saying goodbye to her son became harder and harder every time. Iagan's short arms and tiny hands reached for her as Lyanna held him tight. He wailed and called for her; she couldn't leave him like that, so she said her goodbyes by soothing him with a few words in valyrian whispered only for him. Iagan hadn't been formally taught the language yet, but he recognized a handful of words, and by the expression on his face, he seemed to understand much more than his short life could ever teach him.

"Be good. Be safe. We'll return for you soon, my little one."

Iagan hiccupped, but stopped crying.

Meanwhile, Ser Barristan tried to make her see reason. He told her it wasn't safe or appropriate for her to travel alone, but she knew she would be safe under the dark blanket of the night and the distance would be nothing thanks to Drogon's wings.

"You will be Lord Commander again, and for that you'll need to follow. But as of now, I need to be with Robb."

"What are your fears, Your Grace? Have those nightmares haunted you again? Let me help you." Ser Barristan, weathered by age and experience and with those sad eyes she had learned to trust so much, always seemed to know what was bothering her.

"I've lost everything twice and come back from the ashes, but now I don't know if I could do that again. Not now. Robb has helped me learned to be myself, we have grown together and have a family." She sighed and let Irri adjust the cincher around her middle, feeling the sharp scales around her once again. Dany was ready for battle. "I will not lose another son."

"I believe this time you have many more children," Ser Barristan replied. "You're a queen."

That was how Robb saw their titles. He was the stern yet fair father, while she was the nurturing and fierce mother. She enjoyed the idea of them complementing the other, but she also had to admit there was a small flame inside her that wanted to challenge her husband; she abhorred the idea of being simply a wife to breed heirs with. Dany also knew the traditions; men were meant to be kings, and queens never held the same power.

Dacey looked at her disapprovingly at first, but then embraced her as if they were sisters, because that was how they felt.

"I'll keep our prince safe," she promised. "As if he were my own."

"I know. I'll miss you in battle."

"The fire is still in me. Being a mother can only make me stronger." Dacey smiled. "I'll soon be with you."

In the dark night, Drogon drove her through the clouds. It was cold but the stars were bright above as if they were lighting her way to her wolf. Up there, the world was small and because of how little things seemed, someone could've mistaken them and believe they were easy to solve. She was no fool. War was never easy.

-o-

Harrenhal knew of dragons. Its towers and walls still had the scars of the fire. It was the same that reminded Daenerys of how even is misshapen and broken, some things were meant to last. It seemed like the perfect symbol for their war.

She and Robb started as children who barely knew the other, but they became lovers and then friends. They had overcome so many things besides war and they had built many more. It was only fair for them to finally end up victorious. Painfully, she knew life wasn't always fair, so she was wary. She was just hoping that soon she could sit with Robb and Iagan together, as a family, seeing them laugh and play. She also wanted to tell Robb about their second child on a much happier moment, when they would know there would be peace for them to wathc their children grow.