Chapter Nine

Kaelin

Blood seeps from my lip due to the punch that was just delivered to my face as punishment for attempting to wrench myself from Mr. Not-So-Nice's grip. My lip stings, but it is no match for the fire burning within me. I swipe at his face and manage to scratch his eyelid.

His eyes darken before he grabs me by the throat and pins me to the ground. "Listen, little girl. All he said was to bring you to him, he never said unhurt. So unless you want me to break those pretty little legs of yours I suggest you stop fighting." All of the chaos arounds us seems to quiet as he stares at me with malicious grey eyes.

I truly do not believe he is going to hurt me that bad, but I can't risk it when I do not know what condition Cole is going to be in. "Asshole." I murmur under my breath. He tightens his grip on my throat.

"What was that?"

"Fine." I choke out.

He yanks me off the ground before digging a hand into my scalp and pulling me along. The rest of the people with Mr. Not-So-Nice surround us; probably trying to hide the fact that they are kidnapping me in broad daylight. My head aches from how hard it is being pulled, but I try to focus my myself. I need to begin memorizing faces for when I escape. I refuse to be the helpless girl I was the first time.

Just as we exit the large glass doors of the mall, I catch a glimpse of policemen running inside of the building with their guns drawn. I want to shout and tell them that the threat is over here, but Mr. Not-So-Nice puts his hand over my mouth to prevent that. I have to stop letting him be one step ahead of me. I can't win if I allow myself to be predictable.

When I see the shiny black SUV we are approaching, I instinctively move in the opposite direction. Mr. Not-So-Nice wraps his arm around my throat and pulls me backwards towards the vehicle. I have to backpedal furiously to prevent my airway from being constricted.

The door of the vehicle is opened, and I am tossed inside. I cannot even get my bearings before I am pushed to the floor and blindfolded. I thrash around and only manage to piss my captors off because I receive a firm smack to the back of my head. A whimper escapes my lips, but it is going to take a lot more than that to stop me from fighting.

My wrists are tied behind my back and my ankles are tied together. The doors of the car shut with several bangs before the car starts and drives off.

A firm foot on my back who I am assuming belongs to Mr. Not-So-Nice keeps me from moving an inch. I know I will not be able to do anything until we reach our destination. I just have to hope that it is not secluded because escaping will be that much harder.

//

By the time we reach our destination the carpet of the SUV is soaked with my blood. I am almost positive that my hair is stained red from the blood leaking from my irritated scalp. My best guess at how long we have travelled is three, maybe four hours. My shoulders ache from how tightly my arms are pulled behind my back.

My captors spoke on the way, but it was in Spanish. I could not understand a single word, and it did not help that the blindfold around my head muffled my hearing.

The doors of the vehicle open and close, but I can't exactly tell what is going on.

I recognize a voice, but I cannot quite place it. Come on, Kaelin. Where? Where have you heard it?

And then it hits me a like a ton of bricks. I should have recognized it the second he spoke. He has, after all, been my boyfriend for the past three years.

My heart only stings slightly from the betrayal, probably because part of me already suspected something. The way he fled at the first sign of danger rubbed me the wrong way, and his refusal to contact me while he was gone only made it worse. Not to mention how defensive he became whenever I was around Nolan.