Chapter One

"I swear it will get easier, remember that with every piece of you." -Ed Sheeran

The alcohol burns my throat as it travels into my empty stomach. I quickly grab the next shot glass and bring it to my lips, allowing the spicy scent to assault my nose before draining the shot. A warm buzz fills my body causing me to sigh in content.

"I think you've had enough, beautiful." Roman whispers in my ear from behind me. I order another two shots before turning in my chair at the bar to face him.

His boyish smile is infectious and forces me to give one of my own. I tuck a piece of hair behind my ear before lacing my fingers together behind his neck. "What're you gonna do about it?"

"Hm," He slides his arms around my waist and pulls me closer to the edge of the bar stool. "I might have to pick you and carry you home."

I laugh lightly. "Good luck, you probably can't even pick up a feather."

"Hey! I work out!" My boyfriend protests.

I laugh and bring my lips closer to his, only for him to glance at the bar behind me. "Your shots are here."

I spin around before he can stop me and quickly down the alcohol. My head feels lighter, and I can't stop the giggle that bubbles in my throat. "Roman?"

"Yes, my love?" He replies, turning me around to face him once again. His hands gently hold my hips to make sure I don't fall off of the tall bar stool.

"I-" Whatever I was about to say gets caught in my throat as a familiar silhouette catches my eye. His back is turned to me, but I know exactly who it is.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Roman asks me with a quick glance over his shoulder. His deep brown eyes do a quick scan of my body as if he's checking for any injuries. He's always making sure I'm okay, and it's one of the things I love most about him. Big emphasis on one of the things, because Roman has many qualities that I adore.

I shake my head and lay it against his chest. He immediately encases me into his warm embrace. "Nothing, I just thought I saw someone I knew."

Roman kisses my head gently, but I can tell he doesn't believe my story. However, he respects my space and simply continues to hold me.

I can't believe Nolan is here. When did he leave our small town for the city? I haven't heard anything since I left town five years ago. I wonder what he's been up to? No, I shouldn't worried about him. I have moved on and am perfectly happy with my new life.

But just for a moment, my heart skips a beat at the thought of talking to him.

"Ready to go?" Roman asks me.

I'm about to reply when my words get stuck in my throat. Nolan is staring at me from across the club with wide, astonished, amber eyes. His hair is cut shorter than it used to be, and he has gained a lot of muscle since high school.

"Yes, of course." I reply, shaking away my thoughts of Nolan. It's a big city, it's highly unlikely that I will ever see him again.

I slowly slide off the bar stool and relish in the warmth of Roman's hand on my waist. My short black dress is not doing much for the shivers that have wracked my body since I spotted Nolan. I try to tell myself they are from the cold, but that is a lie.

As the two of us leave the club with music pounding my ears, I sneak a glance back at Nolan. This time he does not stand alone, instead he is with a slender woman with long black hair. I can't observe much about her, but I can see how close she stands to him and the way his eyes soften when he looks at her. They must be together, there is no way Nolan would look at a woman he barely knows with that look in his eye.