Chapter Two

Marina Laswick as Kaelin Summers

"It's hard to trust when all you have from the past is evidence why you shouldn't."

My heart ached as I stared at the letter on the table. A perfect, sealed white envelope with neat writing depicting my name and address plus a postage stamp with a deer on it. Had I not read the return address, I wouldn't have payed it much mind.

Luna jumps into my lap, sensing my discomfort. I hug her closer to me and shut my eyes tightly. Her putts of content ease the anxiousness in my chest and the pain in my head.

This is the fifth letter I have received from my incarcerated older brother Gage. He sends on to me every year, without fail, on the anniversary of his arrest. Usually, he writes about how he misses me and just wants our family to be together. Other times, he says he will get revenge on Nolan and not even I can stop him.

I have written back only once, and that was to tell him about Roman and how well I'm doing now. I purposely tried to make it seem like Nolan was gone, never to be seen again, so there is no reason to seek revenge. I do not think it worked.

However, something about this particular letter seems different.

I slowly let go of Luna and grasp the envelope with shaking hands. Every single time I hear his name or have to read one of his letters my stomach twists. My brother became so evil so quickly, and I can't help but wonder if my dad had something to do with it or if he did of his own free will.

I tear open the envelope and carefully read each neatly written word.

To My Little Sister,

How are you? How is Roman? I hope he is treating you well, or there are going to be some serious problems. Have you started your season with the Leafs yet? I can't wait to hear all about it, if you write back to me, that is. I don't get much news from the outside world here.

I wanted to let you know I am getting out early-

My heart drops. Early? Gage was charged with kidnapping and murder, and somehow he is getting released?

Oh no.

Did my dad bribe Gage's way out of prison? This is really, really not good.

-I should be able to make it to your first game in a month if all goes according to plan. I'm very proud of you, Kaelin, and I can't wait to watch you live your dream.

Also, can you please give me Nolan's number? I need to talk to him before I get out.

I love you,

-Your favourite brother

I put the paper back down on the table a little rougher than I meant to. The gears in my brain are twisting feverishly and getting stuck together. The pounding in my head increases as I imagine Gage's twisted smile glaring at me from the stands of the hockey rink.

Before I know it my lungs feel like they're on fire and the oxygen I desperately need is evading me. My hands behind to shake and when I look down at them, I feel like I'm looking out of tunnel.

The door to my apartment crashes open. I scream and take off towards my room, stumbling into chairs and walls on my way there. I can barely see my surroundings.

Their thudding footsteps are somehow faster than the erratic beats of my heart. This thought only causes more pain to erupt in my chest.

I get into my room and slam the door shut and lock it.

"Kaelin, baby, it's just me." A soothing voice says gently from the other side of the door. "It's Roman."

I stare at the door with glassy eyes. It's can't be him, he's supposed to be at training until later. That means it's an intruder.