Chapter Eleven

Kaelin

Roman situated me in a luxury box overlooking the entire basketball arena. There has to be at least five security guards preventing me from
escaping or being broken out. I guess they are worried about Nolan and/or Hannah coming after me.

If they're worried about Nolan that means he is still alive. A weight lifts off my chest, but only for a moment when the door of the box opens and a young man walks in. I recognize his face, but I can't seem to place where I know him from.

He is wearing an expensive black suit and has a pair of aviators covers his eyes. He's has light brown hair paired with bronzed skin.

Who is he? Come on Kaelin you know who he is.

He flips his sunglasses up and gives me a huge smile. "Hey Kaelin!" Holy fuck, it's Lucian from Oliver's party. Lucian's happy grey eyes scan my shocked face before he sits down beside me with his smile still plastered on his face.

"Why are you here?" I try to hide the hostility and shock lacing my tone, but I cannot hold it completely back. Even though I barely know him, I still feel betrayed.

He raises his eyebrow at me. "You messaged me to come watch the game with you, remember?"

"Oh right!" I pretend to have an epiphany. Roman has complete control over my phone. The only reason Lucian is here is because Roman wants him here, which only makes me even more anxious. Every bone in my body is screaming for me to tell Lucian to run, to get as far away from me as possible, but he wouldn't make it out the door with the volume of security in here.

Lucian glances at the game which is in its second quarter; three minutes until have time. The Raptors have the lead over the Celtics by 5 points. With the tablet in my hand, I can see every players stats for the game thus far. Roman has two rebounds and 7 points.

"How's your knee?" Lucian asks me without taking is eyes of the game. "Rhosyn told me that's why you haven't been at practice."

"It's better..." I trail off because I'm unsure of how I 'injured' it according to Roman.

With one minute remaining in the quarter, the Raptors are holding onto a three point lead.

I couldn't care less who wins or loses, but hopefully Roman wins for my sake.

The buzzer sounds after one of Roman's teammates throws up a loudly buzzer beater that misses the hoop by a mile. That's embarrassing.

One of the security guards grabs my arm and pulls me forcefully from my chair. "What the fuck?!" I attempt to wrench my arm away but the giant man doesn't budge an inch.

I am dragged out of the box, and down to the middle of the basketball court.

Maybe I'm going to be publicly executed?

"Ladies and gentlemen! Tonight is going to be a very special night for the young lady down on the court!" The announcer says over the speakers. What does he mean? What the fuck is happening?

The security guard has disappeared, but I don't dare move.

Roman walks out from the dressing room with his whole team following suit. He is handed a microphone when he reaches me.

"From the moment you walked into my life you have been my shining star," Roman begins while gazing into my eyes with fabricated love. "And since then you have becomes the only light in my life; my sun. Will you, Kaelin Arden Summers, make me the luckiest man in the world and marry me?"

My heart is frozen in my chest when he bends down onto one knee and pulls out a ring case. When he opens it, the first thing I notice is the massive aqua coloured gem contrasting against the smaller diamonds around it. As much as I want to admire the ring, I force myself to look back at Roman.

His eyes narrow at me - silently telling me that I have no choice in the matter. He may have poised it as a question, but the only acceptable answer that will protect Cole is 'yes'.

I plaster on the realest smile I can muster and tell my evil ex boyfriend what he wants to hear. "Yes! Yes I will!"

The entire stadium goes wild as Roman puts the expensive ring on my finger before grabbing me and hugging me to his (sweaty) chest. Tears prick my eyes at the thought of marrying him, but then I remember that I am doing this for Cole.

Roman pulls back slightly before pulling me into a rough kiss. Every part of me is disgusted as he puts on a show for the still cheering crowd by dipping me low.

"Good job, mi amor."

//

When the commotion died down, Roman lead me off the court and back into the hands of his security detail.

"Roman wait," I say before he can walk back to the game. He looks back at me with dark eyes. "Why did you invite Lucian?"

"My fiancée needs a friend does she not?" He answers be walking away.

A friend he can use against me incase I fuck up and he murders Cole.

With that, the security team escorts me to a large black SUV and opens the door for me. I get in without making a fuss and situate myself in the very back. As the security team clambers into the car, I notice that none of them are carrying actual guns; they carry tasers and these other guns that appear to be tranquilizers of some sort. The clip in one of them has darts not bullets.

They need me alive, that much is clear, but why? My only guess is that they are targeting either Nolan or Gage.

They drive me back to the mansion and leave me in 'my' room. Before Mr. Not-So-Nice leaves, I ask him a question. "Who do you work for?"

He looks at me with a tinge of pity in his eyes. "You'll find out soon enough."

"Why can't you just tell me? Who the fuck could I possibly tell?!"

"Now that you're engaged to Roman, you will be allowed to return to your life. However, if you breathe a word to anyone about this, Cole will be killed."

He leaves and slams the door behind him. The door must auto lock, because I hear two rhythmic sounds before a loud thump. The sound of a lock clicking into place isn't usually something I would associate with freedom Mr. Bad Guy.

When I walk over to the closet, I find a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie waiting for me. I quickly change before examining the clothes I just took off. I get to work removing the underwire of the bra. At first, I struggled to rip the fabric open, but once I did it was easy to fish the wire out.

This time, I wouldn't be the damsel in distress.

A/N

Happy Pre-Friday!

Courtney <3