Ch5: Cold Blooded

Start bij het begin

"No."

"I can find some containers to store this in so you can eat it later. If you would like."

"Don't."

I was about to grunt in frustration before I caught myself and turned it into a hard swallow. I needed to maintain my composure even if my efforts were in vain.

I mean, what was I expecting? For him to actually say, 'thank you'? My hopes for him were too high. Still, I at least thought he'd eat it. Why wouldn't he? Shouldn't he be starving? Unless...of course...why hadn't I thought if before: he must have believed I tampered with it. 

"I didn't spit in it! If that's what you're worried about," I exclaimed, regretting the words as they left my mouth.

The typing ceased, as he peered over at me with a curious look, a single brow raised. His persistent gaze made me feel the need to justify myself:

"I hope you know, that I would never ever in a million years spit in anything I give to you. Never! I don't even know why I said that. I wasn't even thinking about it."

"Floydian slips are rather unfortunate, aren't they?" he said.

"Floydian, what?"

"Look it up," he paused, "now move these trays over to the counter. I'll handle it from there."

I forced myself to swallow my embarrassing slip up and continue on as if nothing happened. That's the only way I could keep my cool. Be calm and mature. Like a business woman. As far as I was concerned, nothing happened.

As I hobbled over to his desk - about to grab the tray - I stared at him. He didn't seem to care or notice. Admittedly, I liked this...standing up, looking down on him. Being in a higher position somehow made me feel more powerful. A small sliver of confidence returned to me.

"What does 'handle it' mean? Are you going to throw all the food away?"

"I don't believe in being wasteful. Now. Ms. Dupain-Cheng. If you would listen to me. Please."

He shot me a hard look. I nodded, balancing the tray in my palms as I journeyed across the office. I snuck a backward glance, to discover that he was staring at me...watching me as I walked.

I suddenly became self-conscious. Where were his eyes looking? Did he notice my unfortunate lack of womanly curves? Is that what he was thinking? How unappealing I was to look at? Then why was he even looking at me?

Just ignore him, I told myself. Easier said than done. Everything in me wanted to fight back at the things I thought he was thinking.

Stop thinking about it. Stop.

The tray wobbled, as I attempted to steady it against my uneven pace. Almost there.

"You changed your skirt," he said, matter-of-factly.

Wait. So, did that mean he was actually looking at my-

My left ankle suddenly weakened, and before I could finish my thought, I tripped. I caught myself, but the momentum had flung the tray out of my hands. Like slow motion, I watched it slide from my grip, as each plate crashed onto the ground and shattered. The puddle of food looked like vomit amidst the shards.

I was first filled with disbelief...then SO much dread! More than anything in the world, I wanted to turn back time and reset this moment. Darn it. I should have brought the Snake Miraculous. How could this have happened? My heart palpitated, as I gasped. No doubt I would be fired! One stupid little mistake would cost me my entire future.