Ch20: Weary

"Felix!" I called out over car horns and the sound of tires slushing through puddles. Headlights burned my vision as I frantically tried to keep my eyes on him. I didn't want to lose him in the sea of black umbrellas from passing people.

It was almost evening time and the dark grey sky continued to sprinkle Paris with freezing rain. I shivered, regretting that I didn't bring an umbrella. Then again, I didn't have time.

As it turned out, Felix left my house when he finished his shower. Meanwhile, I had been taking a shower in my parent's bathroom. His blood had dried on my skin and was difficult to scrub off, so my shower took a little longer. Then I had to blow dry my hair. When I couldn't find Felix anywhere in my house, I rushed to the window and happened to see him walking down the sidewalk with my mom's red umbrella wearing the clothes I'd given him.

I ended up chasing him three blocks, and he had somehow managed to stay ahead thanks to all the stupid green lights that kept me from crossing the street.

But now I was so close! And a good thing too! I was extremely out of breath and tired. There was no satisfaction in filling my lungs since the icy November air only caused a stinging sensation.

Much to my relief, Felix stopped walking and was now waiting by the public bus stop. I rushed up to him and firmly grasped his shoulder from behind. He cocked his head to the side to meet my gaze, before turning his body until we were face-to-face.

Frightening. Without sunlight, his eyes were dark - almost completely black. His hair was excessively curly, and his skin and lips were still white as snow.

"Where are you going?" I exclaimed.

He frowned as his eyes washed over my body (which was burrowed in a thick navy hoodie and multi-colored yoga pants).

Without warning, he reached for my waist and pulled me towards him. I lost balance and fell into his chest, the side of my face buried in his breasts. He smelled like my shampoo: coconut almond butter.

"Stay out of the rain," he said. I felt the vibrations in my ear.

This was so cozy...especially since he was wearing my dad's extra soft hoodie. The rain could no longer reach me, now that I was under Felix's umbrella. He released his grip and guided my shoulders away from his body. It was just enough so that he could look me in the eyes but also stay within the umbrella. Either way, we were close, and the privacy here somehow felt romantic. But no. I couldn't be thinking stuff like this now.

"I don't need you catching your death," he said, adjusting the umbrella so that I was fully covered. His back was now being drizzled.

"Well, I don't want you catching yours either," I said, pushing it back towards the middle.

He sighed, "You shouldn't have followed me."

"You literally almost bled to death. And now you're wandering the streets in the rain. Of course, I'm going to follow you! For all I know, you're still out of it," I exclaimed.

"I can assure you that I have returned to my normal state of being," He said in a monotone voice.

I grunted as I threw my head back.

"Why? Why'd you leave? You said that we were going to talk. You were going to tell me what happened," I placed my hands on my hips.

"Frankly that entire conversation was a blur for me," he rose his brows as he shrugged.

Just then the public bus pulled up to the designated bus stop. When the doors automatically opened, Felix placed his cold hands over mine as he gave me the umbrella. Then he stepped out of the umbrella's shelter and strode towards the bus.