Ch8: Citrus

"Good morning," I said, pushing open Felix's office door on Monday.

Of course he didn't bother moving his gaze from the screen. I positioned myself near the kitchen nook of his office, leaning against the counter. Taking deep breathes, I attempted to slow the pace of my heart.

"Ms. Dupain-Chang, I hope you are aware that it is well into the afternoon."

"Crap! Yes I know that! I've just been saying it all morning and it just slipped out. Sorry!"

"Please stop apologizing for everything," his words can out monotone.

"Sorry! I mean, okay. Yes."

"Anyway, what do you want?"

"I just came here to tell you that I've finished all my training videos."

"Took you long enough."

I had no reply.

"Now that you are properly trained in the basics, I have a job for you."

My heart sped up. This was great! Maybe Felix was finally warming up the idea of a secretary.

"What?" I eagerly rushed over to his desk. I was met with blood shot eyes. Today he wore a black suit with a navy tie.

"Get me more coffee."

Disappointment. I didn't complete five days of training videos just to get Felix coffee. But it was better than nothing. At least he was asking something of me, instead of saying he didn't want or need me.

"Of course!"

He nudged a black coffee mug towards me.

"I'll take my usual."

"What would that be?" I asked, reaching for the mug's handle.

"Black."

"Any sweeteners or creamers?"

"No. That's what black means."

"Right," I said brushing off my embarrassment.

As I walked over to the coffee machine near the fridge, he said, "that one is broken. You'll have to go to the one down the hall. Take two lefts and one right and you should see it. Think you can manage that?"

"Oh. Yes. I'll do that."

"Don't get lost," he said, his lips curving upward as if he thought that was humorous.

I nodded and quickly made my exit. My mind immediately drifted to the events that occurred on Saturday night. I'd been replaying my meeting with Chat Noir ever since. No! I promised myself I wouldn't think about my Ladybug job at work. I needed to stay focused.

After following Felix's directions, I found the coffee machine located in a corner, surrounded by two high top tables and a counter with cups, tea bags, and creamers.

A woman wearing an emerald green dress and the highest heels I'd ever seen, waited for the rumbling coffee machine to blend her coffee. As I stood behind her, I noticed her curled brown hair. It looked so perfect. If I ever tried to curl my hair, I knew it would look frizzy at this time of day.

Just as the woman reached for her cup and turned to leave, our eyes met. Her flawless olive colored skin was emphasized by her murky green eyes.

She instantly scanned me, wearing a slight frown. Was my simple pink dress too plain? Did she dislike the way I slicked my hair back in a high pony tale? Or was it was my boring flat shoes I wore at Felix's request?

"Hi," I said meekly, hoping to pull her eyes back to my face.

She raised her plucked brows. Then her eyes targeted the black mug in my hand.