Ch19: Scarlet

My eyes wouldn't open.

I was awake, but so fatigued that my eyelids were sealed shut. It felt like one of those terrible dreams where no matter how hard you try, you can't move a single muscle. What had happened to me? And where was I?

I could feel myself in someone's arms - my shoulder and side that rested against the chest were warm, while the other side was drizzled by light freezing rain. Was I being kidnapped?

The person carrying me was quickly walking which caused my head to bobble against their shoulder and neck. I heard them deeply gasping for air as if they couldn't catch their breath. Their heart was beating rapidly and they carried a strong metallic scent. Based on the sounds of traffic and talking voices rushing by, I assumed I was on a busy street.

After applying all my strength, my eyes finally popped open.

Red.

Through my blurred vision, I saw blood dripping from Felix's nose, streaming past his lips and chin, and onto to me. I felt sick to my stomach. Why was he bleeding?

The last thing I remembered, Felix was on the ground and we were both in the closet. He must have woken up before me and taken me. How long were we unconscious? Was it still the same day? Most importantly, what the heck had happened?

"Felix," I whispered as I reached up to grasp his loosened tie. I had intended for my voice to come out louder.

He shot me a wide glance as he tilted his head downward. This only caused more blood to spill onto me. Chilling. Those raging blue eyes filled with relief, as he quickly tipped his head back.

"Thank God, you're awake," he muttered. I felt the vibration of his voice in my side.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"I've ruined your dress," he said with the slightest slur.

The baby blue fabric on my chest and stomach was stained with a pool of red. It was indeed ruined. How much blood had he lost?

"What happened?" I asked, becoming overly aware of all the attention we were attracting. It seemed that we turned every umbrella-covered head. Thankfully, the gloomy sky helped hide the severity of our circumstance, but those who managed to see past the thick fog wore disturbed expressions.

Meanwhile, Felix's gaze was fixated on the foggy horizon illuminated with car headlights.

"Where are we going?"

"Away from them," he said with an edge.

"Who's 'them'?"

His complexion was growing paler by the minute, as the steady river trickled from his nose. I didn't have any spare fabric nor the strength to rip my dress to create a handkerchief.

"Put me down. I can walk by myself," I said.

To my surprise, he immediately followed suit. Truth be told, I didn't think he had any more strength left to carry me. I could feel his arms shaking the entire time. If he had carried me all the way from Agreste Inc. then that would have been a solid two and a half miles.

He stabilized me with his hand, as I secured my weight on my wobbly feet. My knees and legs felt so weak and shaky - the kind of feeling that came with high fevers.

With his hands now freed up, he covered his nose. Liquid still managed to seep through and his white collared shirt under his blazer was completely soaked. Had he seriously been bleeding for two miles? This was bad.

"I'm taking you to the hospital," I said, grasping his wrist.

The rain began to fall harder, pelting against the reflective sidewalk and slowly turning the walkway into one big shallow puddle.