Ch44: Teeth

"Luka? What are you doing here?" I exclaimed, rushing up to the blue-haired tech guy who had a camera hoisted on his shoulder.

"Oh, I'm taking headshots for the new hires' first day of orientation," Luka said, blinking quickly. We stood in the middle of the first floor lobby as fellow employees darted by.

I was so utterly confused! Last I heard he was in a coma. How was he here? I guess he was better now. Well, clearly. Unless I was just seeing things (which was definitely in the realm of possibilities considering my excessive sugar intake over break).

I reached out my finger to poke him: flesh and bone. He was here - wearing a black polo and grey pants. His frame and face looked unusually thin - evidence of his coma. Nevertheless, his eyes still bubbled with that boyish charm.

"No. I mean. You were in a coma. How are you here?" I exclaimed, almost spilling my steaming cup of green tea.

"I woke up," he smiled, hoisting the camera to his other shoulder as if the weight was straining him.

"When?"

"Seven days ago."

Why didn't Alya tell me? That was the first question that came to mind. But I refrained from asking right away out of respect for the privacy of their relationship.

"Oh. I see. Shouldn't you still be resting though?" I asked.

"That's what the doctors and my family said. But I told them I'd go crazy if I didn't go back to work. The hospital is a mind-numbing place," he shrugged.

"Well. I can't argue with that."

I placed a gentle hand on his shoulder as we headed down a private hallway lined with blank walls. This part of the building looked deserted - lit by a dizzying orange light that caused the granite floor to appear like a fizzing soda drink.

"Do you know why?" I whispered, "why you were targeted?" I checked our surrounding to find we were alone and out of sight. Which meant safe.

Luka fell silent, his lips parting ever so slightly.

"I don't know," Luka said, stepping closer to me and lowering his voice.

"Did you see anything weird?" I said, my eyes frantically searching his face.

"Honestly, I don't recall anything that happened that night."

"You don't remember our conversation? That you told me to make Felix suffer at the gala?"

"I said that? No. I'm sorry. The doctors said I have mild amnesia" Luka knocked on his skull playfully, "It should come back to me slowly."

Okay. Forget the respect of Alya and Luka's relationship. I needed to make sure Alya was aware...otherwise.

"Does Alya know you're okay? I just can't believe she didn't tell me!" I said, shifting my weight to one hip.

"Alya," he chuckled, reaching out and tapping me on the head with a soft fist, "duh." He then fixed a few wild hair strands and placed them behind my ear.

Okay? What was this about? Perhaps he was just being friendly?

"It's strange she didn't tell me you were awake," I drew a finger to my chin.