61: The Elevator

A/N: Please read chapter 60 called "The Circle" before reading this chapter. I posted both on the same day.

✧*̣̩⋆̩☽⋆゜✧*̣̩⋆̩☽⋆゜✧*̣̩⋆̩☽⋆゜✧*̣̩⋆̩☽⋆゜✧*̣̩⋆̩☽⋆゜

Hold the door!" I shouted as I wobbled across the polished floor on my high heels.

Faster. I must go faster, despite my aching side and weary lungs. The weight of employee and customer eyes rested on me as if my behavior was strange. Believe me, I knew I looked like an idiot and that their stares were justified.

A man stood in the elevator, staring down at his watch as if he was completely unaware of my existence. Did he hear me? I was already late and couldn't afford to lose another minute.

My stomach twisted as the elevator doors started to close.

"The door!" I yelped, my voice echoing in the high ceilings of the Agreste Inc. lobby.

Finally, the man glanced up at me, instantly holding out his arm. The elevator doors closed, before feeling the pressure of his arm and opened. I was so startled by the event, my leg twisted when I stepped into the elevator, and I managed to drop nearly all my notes and papers I had in a file. They fluttered from my grip and were covering the ground. Worst of all, I heard some type of ripping noise but I wasn't sure what part of my outfit was ruined.

I slumped over, scooped up my papers, and recklessly stuffed them back in my folder. The man bent over and gathered papers as well. Then he handed them to me.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

His eyes. They were. Uncommonly green - like jade. Too green in my opinion. Dark circles traced the outline of his eyes as if he hadn't slept in weeks.

Now that I had a chance to stare at him, he actually looked less like a man, and more like a teenage boy around my age. He wore a black suit and a pink tie. His blonde hair was wavy, spreading across his forehead and down his neck. Dang, he was cute. Was he an intern too?

"I'm...umm...I'm fine!" I stammered.

He stared at me, as if he was drinking in my appearance. As if I was somehow familiar to him and the sight of me was comforting. I looked away and stood to my feet. I had no idea who this man was and his gaze was uncomfortable for some reason.

"First day, huh?" The man said, pressing the button for the very floor I needed to go to.

"Is it that obvious?" I asked, feeling my cheeks flush.

He scoffed, "Very."

"Really?" I questioned, suddenly feeling insecure. I stared down at my very high heels. Was this guy making fun of me?

"My apologies. Bad habit of mine," He said, "I like to see you flustered sometimes."

Now I felt like I was overheating as my eyes grew wide. How dare he say that? Who did he think he was to say he wanted to fluster me? Did I know he from somewhere? Was he one of my old bullies who made fun of me in grade school or something? Either way, one thing was clear - this guy was rude.

"Umm...I...heh..." I fumbled. Whatever his intent, it was working. He'd rendered me speechless.

"Deep breaths, Marinette," he said, placing a warm hand on my shoulder.

"How...how do you know my name?" I asked.

"Your badge," he gestured with his chin. I glanced down to the badge on my chest. Of course. I was so dumb. I felt embarrassed.

"Right," I said, bringing the folder closer to my chest.

"A little word of advice, if you're going to work here, I'd recommend losing the heels and investing in an iron," he said.

Did he just insult my outfit? No he didn't! That's the last thing anyone should say to a fashion designer. My shirt was red linen which was meant to be wrinkled by design and I liked my heels! They made me feel taller and more womanly.

"Who do you think you are?" I yelped.

"Your boss, actually," he said with a wink.

"Liar!" I said, pointing a finger.

"Am I though?" He smirked, "I'm just helping you out a bit."

"By insulting me?" I questioned.

"By giving you some insight into my likes and dislikes as your superior," he said, looking too smug.

"You are anything but my superior! In fact, I'd quit on the spot if I had to work for someone like you," I exclaimed.

Instead of looking angry or frustrated, he stared at me with a sort of happiness.

"I've missed you a lot," He said, his face growing serious. For a moment, it felt like his eyes were peering into my soul - as if my every thought, dream, and secret was something he understood and knew intimately. What did his words even mean? And why did I suddenly want to cry?

"Miss me? I've never met you in my life!" I exclaimed, "I think I would have remembered a hot..."

Wait a second, that was a compliment! I bit my lip.

He stood there grinning. The worst part was that nothing I said made him mad yet he was making me irate!

Finally, the elevator doors opened, and I eagerly exited, hoping to get away from the man as soon as possible.

"You might want to get yourself a new skirt," he said.

I glared back at him. Why was he looking back there? So unprofessional!

"Stop looking at ..."

"Just making a general observation. Completely innocent," he shrugged, holding up his hands.

"Alright, Mr. Innocent, who are you anyway?" I didn't see his badge. Perhaps he had it hidden inside his suit.

He cocked his head upward, as he placed his hands in his suit pockets.

"Adrien," he said slowly, "Adrien Agreste," he repeated as the elevator doors began to close.

My stomach dropped!

"The son of ..." I began.

"See you later, Ms. Dupain-Cheng," he said, a sideways smirk appearing on his face. With that, the elevator doors closed, and I was on a unfamiliar floor. I had just gotten in a fight with Adrien Agreste - the son of the CEO of my dream company! Great! Just great. Was I going to get fired? Probably.

Of all the elevators in this massive building, why did it have to be him?

Just my luck.