CHAPTER 43: Assumptions

Start from the beginning

"Yes, this is the truth. Ryan is not my son."

He slowly made his way towards the couch and sat there. Then continued "I was never like this Bella, so reserved." He scoffed. "My life was full of enjoyment. Clubs, parties, girls, that was my life. I didn't care about anyone's feeling. Nobody mattered to me other than Amelia. My life was simple before. No girlfriends nothing. Me being in a relationship was like unbelievable. And marriage, a hell no. Ryan was the one who changed my life.

He paused for a moment. "It was about two years ago, me and Amelia we were returning from a party. She said she can drive and I let her. That was my biggest mistake, well second biggest. She was driving, but the way she was driving I knew she wasn't able to focus properly. I tried to tell her to let me drive but she didn't listen to me. I don't remember when a car came in front and crashed with our car. When the car crashed with ours I felt my head spinning, when I opened my eyes I was in the car bleeding badly, every part of my body was hurting. I looked at my side to see if Amelia is okay. S-She too was b-bleeding. I called her, I s-shook her but she wasn't waking up. I managed to get out of the car and I pulled her out, when I checked her nerves, her breathing. S-She was no more."

I saw Liam crying. Tears were rolling down his cheeks. I went to him and sat beside him.

"That moment w-was hell for me. M-My mind went blank, I didn't know what to do. I just sat there holding her in my arms" I rubbed his arm.

"L-Liam."

"The road was empty. There was no one for help. I was still shouting and waiting for someone to come and help but no one came. Then I heard the crying of a kid, it was coming from the other car. I managed to drag myself to the other car to see who was it. I saw a man and I saw a child crying inside. I managed to open the door of the car and took out the child. But when I tried to pull the man out, he screamed out in pain. His leg was stuck inside and he was not able to come out. Then I noticed that the petrol was leaking from his car. I was asking him to try but it seemed like he had already given up. He was asking me to go away but I couldn't just leave him, dying there. But I didn't have any other choice either I-I had to leave him and Amelia. I had to save the child. The last thing he said before dying was that 'please take care of my son'. With that he yelled at me to leave. I picked up the kid and ran away from the car. I just stood there and saw the car getting fire. I-I couldn't do a-anything."

Liam then took a deep breath and rubbed his face "Being the jerk I was in the past I could've left the kid in an orphanage or something. But looking at his face I j-just couldn't do that. I felt responsible for everything that he was going through. So I decided to bring him with me. When I brought him with me, he was really scared. He didn't trust anyone. Mom-Dad, no one. He was just in my arms. Whenever someone would come to take him away from me he would turn to me and hold me tightly. He also told me his name and never left me since I brought him."

I was crying by now. How can I not? He went through so much alone.

"Y-you didn't try to search for Ryan's mother?"

"I am not his father Bella, but Brittany is his mother. I did find her. After I found Ryan I asked him about his mother. Whenever I did that he would become sad and move away from me. So I stopped asking him. Then I asked Lucas to search about Ryan and he told me about Brittany. He said that Brittany never wanted a child so she left him with his Dad. She even tried to get an abortion when she was pregnant with Ryan. But Ryan's Dad didn't let that happen and after Ryan was born, he took Ryan with him and got a divorce from Brittany."

"How did you meet her then?" I asked.

Liam stared at me for a moment. All I could see in those pair of sea-coloured eyes was pain.