Introduction

• Dedicated to Kel T Chester

*Introduction*

As Liam looked out of his bedroom window he knew it was time to escape.

He slowly lifted his window open and silently climbed out. Once he was out of his room and on the roof he reached in and grabbed his bag. Then, he took one last good look around his room before pulling it shut.

Liam crept towards the gutter and once he had reached it, took a deep breath and jumped. For a moment it felt like he was flying. He then braced himself for the impact he knew was coming. He bent his knees and let go of his bag so he could catch himself.

When he was safely on the ground he picked up his bag and looked up at his home....no, he mustn’t think of it as that anymore. He looked up at his father’s house and admired it. It was a large mansion. It had two stories and was a cream colour with the occasional sand coloured rock sticking out.

 It had a large sand coloured door with a porch just big enough to provide shade for someone standing on the door step and two balconies coming off the front and one on either side of the house. It also had one up the back. The place had a great garden with a winding path leading from a white gate up to a horse shoe drive and then from the other side of the horse shoe drive right up to the doorstep of the house. His bedroom had been the balcony on the left.

He would miss his room; it was the only place he had ever had that was his own. His father was very, very rich and had always been too busy to have anything to do with his overcurious and troublesome son. In truth, he was only troublesome because he was locked up in that house 24/7 and wanted his father’s attention. His father hadn't payed any attention to him since Liam's mother died mysteriously 7 years ago. He had no friends because he was home schooled. So his room provided refuge, it was safe place where Liam could just be Liam.

Its walls and door had been covered with his drawings. Although Liam is always very modest about it, he is a great drawer. He also had what some called a photographic memory which just made him even more talented and his drawings even more realistic.

But he pushed these thoughts away and scaled the garden wall without glancing back.

As he walked he wondered where he would go. He had no friends and he had never met any of his family. As he pondered this he saw movement in the corner of his eye. He looked up and saw that several teenagers were running in the shadows towards some unknown destination. He decided he would follow them. So he quietly followed in the darkness.

They ran for about half an hour, full pelt, and surprisingly Liam found that he was able to keep up. The teenagers appeared to be boys and there were about six of them. Although the night was cold, they wore only jeans and t-shirts. Through their t-shirts, Liam could see their muscles bulging and pulling their shirts tight as they ran, and it scared him. They looked about 18 or more and he didn't want to get caught following them. But I won't get caught he assured himself, and kept running.

They soon slowed down and appeared to have reached their destination. The Fisherman's Forest.

The Fisherman's Forest was a dark forest and although Liam had never been there before now, he had heard many stories about it. The story says that there were two boys, sons of fishermen, about 14 years old, who went in there once. Two went in, and one came out. The one who got out was found dead the next morning although he appeared unharmed. It's a mystery and a local horror story, and in Liam's opinion it was just that, a story designed to keep kids out of the woods. But now, looking into it's dark depths, Liam began to wonder if those stories weren't without good basis.

Liam was suddenly pulled from his thoughts by a ear splitting howl. It not only left his ears ringing, but it sounded so heartbreakingly sad and sorrowful. It sounded the way one would after losing someone closer to them than family, if that were possible.

In the moments that followed, Liam felt a part of him awaken, a part of him that he did not know of.

He did not know of it, and he suddenly wasn't sure that he wanted to, but it was to late now. 

He shook off the feeling of awe very quickly as it turned to fear, and looked over at the boys to find that they had disappeared! Sometime during his....... 'awakening' ....... the boys had run off. Liam walked towards the spot where the boys had been standing and saw no evidence that they had ever been there. 

Liam found that he had a lot of energy all of a sudden. 

It's that part of you, the newly awakened part.

 His subconscious whispered to him from the back of his mind.

With his new found energy, home didn't sound so bad and the thought of not returning sounded almost silly.

 He was, after all, only 12(turning thirteen in two weeks) and couldn’t exactly live entirely independently. So after a long battle in his mind he reluctantly walked back to the house and snuck back into his room wiping all past tense he had used earlier from his mind and then went to bed thinking about what he had just seen.

Maybe, just maybe, life could be better.

Liam's destiny had been set in motion...