Chapter 1

Hi! Before you start reading, I just want to repeat that this is a fanfiction, everything in here are products of my imagination. I may use names that exists in real life (like Melissa & Chris) but they are not associated by any means in my story. All scenes and chapters are all fiction and not real.

Also, this story was written by me back in 2018 but, I just changed some characters and some scenes, but the plot of the story is the same (I am currently rewriting some chapters so if you have any suggestions just comment! <3). This isn't my first book although all my books are already deleted. Thank you and I hope you enjoy reading! <3

Kinda slow updates but I'll update when I have time. Enjoy!

-------

Wearing a black jacket, pants, and shoes, with her hair dancing with the wind coming from her office's window, Melissa Benoist, one of the youngest and best agent and detective in this government organization, slowly closed her eyes, feeling the cool air in her face. She sighed. She hears a knock on the door, "Come in."

An agent pops his head by the door and said, "Agent Benoist, the Director is waiting for you in his office."

With a confused look, Melissa asks, "Why? Is he waiting for my report? I thought he passed the other assignment to Agent Hall?"

"Yes, ma'am," the agent carefully said. "I think he has a new assignment for you. I saw him with bunch of papers when he asked me to call you. He's waiting for you right now."

Melissa nodded. "Alright. Thank you." The agent nodded and slowly closed the door.

She fixed herself, in order to be ready to face the Director then opened the door. Once she reached the door of the Director's office, she carefully knocked and said, "Benoist." A simple, "Come in.", which she was waiting for was heard from the other side of the door, signalling her to come inside.

The director is sitting on his desk, rummaging through the huge pile of files in front of him. He looked up at Melissa with worry in his face. "Agent Benoist," he started. "Do you remember the first assignment that I told you to observe?"

"Yes, that assignment you said that is too much for a 'rookie' like me to handle at the end," Melissa said, remembering what her boss is saying. "What's up with it? I thought that case was solved already."

The director sighed. "Apparently, it's not. When I told you it's too much for you to handle, I knew by then that it will take a lot of time to solve this case. This assignment was originally given to an agent whose lastname is Williams, I can't tell you much about him or who he really is but I gave it to him before you even enter the organization, this agency. It all started when our President's, the president of the country's computer got hacked. It contained a lot of different important information, as you already know. It was a smart move for them because they only hacked it by one shot, not evidence left. So, I asked Williams, who at that time was the best at technology, he willingly said yes. After a few years, he can't find a way to look for the culprit of the hacking but we were relieved because there were no attacks from whoever did this but a week before you came, Williams told me he found a lead, an important lead he didn't wanna say because he wasn't sure just yet but he said he wrote it in his report. When you came, I told you to observe. You thought all along that I am handling this case, but no, Williams is. He never came back after going to wherever that lead is."

"What about the report? I thought he wrote it in his report? The lead should be there." Melissa said after a few moments of listening.

The director removed his glasses and slowly started. "That's the problem. He brought his report in case he'll find something, he can immediately write it down and report it to us. But he never managed to come back."

Melissa sighed. She knows this is a dangerous mission by the sounds of it. "What do you want me to do?"

"Take over the case, solve it. I know you can, Benoist. I trust you, you're the one I trust the most in this place," the director sighed. "You were the one observing, I know you're smart, Melissa. You solved more case than the other agents who are older than you, you have the experience."

Melissa closed her eyes for a brief moment before speaking, "How dangerous is it? What should I do?"

"I'll transfer you to Washington. Just a house that will take you a 15 minute drive going to one of our hidden stations there. No one will find your hideout in there because it's undercover as a house, and surrounding you are people who aren't nosy or always at home. No one will be suspicious. There will also be the items including computers needed inside the house, there is a secret room where you can do your investigations." He replied.

Melissa nodded. "What if I need to go out? Like what if there's a lead or something? I can't just stay in the hideout."

"I thought of that also, just be an undercover ordinary person, if someone asks for your occupation, which I don't think anyone will, just say you're a cop, ordinary cop, and you know what to do if they ask for your badge." He replied.

Melissa anxiously rubbed her hands together. "When should I start? When will be my flight to Washington?"

"You'll have a partner," the director suddenly said, causing Melissa to look at him, no emotions. "He is new with this case, just like you. He has taken and solved some minor cases but he's not necessarily bad. He can help you, I know it. You just need to help him too, especially now. And your flight will be tomorrow evening. We're going to use one of our airplanes here, I'll come with you to inform you more during the flight before letting you go."

"Who is my partner?" Melissa said, finally grabbing a seat in front of the director.

"Agent Wood," said the director. "He's not new, not very young. He's the same age as you, I suppose."

Melissa nodded, closing her eyes again. "Can I atleast tell my mom? Give me until tomorrow morning, sir. I just need to fix things before I leave for who knows how long this assignment will take."

The director smiles and nodded. He gave some of the files to Melissa for her to review before letting her go out of his office. A man, Christopher Wood, entered the director's office few minuted after Melissa left.