Chapter 8

As soon as the new kid said his name, many girls had their pupils dilated.

"Alright, Luke please take a seat next to Abby." Mrs. Jones gestures to my table.

Luke takes the seat next to me. I don't look at him or try to smile. Why? Because many girls are batting their eyelashes at him. He takes a glance in my direction, but I focus on the lecture instead. It's bad enough that I got stuck with Taylor's friend.

"Your homework will be due next, you're all dismissed," Mrs. Jones dismisses the class. I approach her desk before leaving, "Mrs. Jones." She looks up.

" Oh Abby, what can I do for you?"

"I just had a question. Where is Laura?"

She sounds surprised, "Well, she was moved to a Later period." she smiles, and I nod.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Kyra Fox

Penny Davis

Jackie Perry

Lura Mcgarden

and

Lizeth Barns. As starters step forward." Coach gestures to the front.

"Next, Vivian Thomas

Rachel Moore

Olivia Lee

Abigail Johnson....."

When I hear my name, I let out a breath of relief.

"Alright, that is it for the boy's and girls' basketball team. Everyone else is dismissed. " The head coach blows his whistle.

"Now, every player takes a slip of paper and write down your vote, next week we'll announce the nominated candidates for team captain." the assistance coach announces.

"Who will you nominate?" Lura whispers to me.

"Not sure, I have a strong feeling, we all know who's going to win," I concur.

" You think so," Lura asks.

"Yeah, I mean she is a good center." "Your right about that," she writes down a name and folds in to turn it in. I think about it and then write a name down. We then head toward the lockers, but I can't help feeling disappointed.

"Cheer up, it's not the end of the world" Lura wraps her arm around my neck.

"I know it only the beginning."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I guess, I'm forgiven," I shyly say to Lura.

She lets out a big huff, "Well, I don't plan on being petty this week."

she opens the gym's double doors with her back. I walk through them when I fall over someone, and we land with a thump. I hear someone burst into hysterical laughter and the person next to me sits up. I held up my head with my hand. I fell face first, so my head is thumping very loud.

"Hey, so sorry. Here let me help..." I look up to the voice and find Luke with his hand outstretched. Annoyed, I slap his hand away and get up.

"What's your problem?!" Taylor gets in front of Luke.

"You knocked me down and you want me to thank you? It doesn't work like that." I argue back.

"Abby, wait up," Lura runs to catch up with me. "Ever thought of being less aggressive? I mean especially to with boys."

I stop and look at Lura," And when you mean boys, are you trying to say, Taylor?"

she hesitates," Look, I know you don't talk about it but after what you did to him, anyone..."

"What?!" I move closer to her. "You think that all that was my fault? Look, Lura, piss off. I really don't need this right now."

"Look, you really are the problem. Taylor -" she starts.

"Lura just drop it. I got smacked on the face I don't need an accusation right now."

Lura stops and quietly says, "Well, do you want to drop by the health center?" I sigh.

"No." My voice cracks, "Let's just get some ice or something."