Chapter 18

My hair is about to be yanked off.  "Let go!" I yell. I try to release Mrs. White's hold on my hair. I came home last night, thinking they were gone for the next few days but I found out they arrived yesterday morning. 

"Let go? Not until you answer where were you yesterday," she stands firm. 

"I told you I was making up some work at school," I keep on resisting. It feels like my hair is going to be pulled out with the rest of my skin. 

"What do you take me for? I called the school this whole week and I was told that there was no such thing." she glares at me, " If I catch you doing basketball again, I will make you regret it."

"O.K fine. Now let me go."

She finally lets go of my hair but gives me a slap right on the face. "Don't you ever talk back to me. I'll remind you again, that without me you are nothing."

She regains her composure and heads toward her husband. They exchange words and leave with their luggage for another business trip. My legs give out, I lean against the sofa's back. I really want to leave this hell hole. 

"Abby, did they leave already?" Jessica comes out of the bedroom. 

I quickly get up, try to comb my hair, to look decent for someone whose hair was going to be yanked out. "Yeah, you just missed them."

"If you ever need help you would tell me right?" Jess rubs her eyes. 

I swallow and look away, "I would."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As much as I don't want Mrs. White on my back, I love basketball. I lost everything, but I can still play basketball. 

"Kyra Fox

Penny Davis

Jackie Perry

Lura Mcgarden

Olivia Lee. That is the revised version with the 2nd game included." The coach explains. We've already had the 2nd game, which means have two more the list will be finalized. 

"Alright, Men! 

Taylor King, 

Luke Smith,

Zack Evans,

John Roberts,

 and Matt Bell. This will be the lineup for tomorrow's game." The assistance coach announces. 

LUKE! He's still a starter. Even Hector got bumped down the list. I look over at Luke chatting with everyone else. 

"What fell in love with him?" Someone check falls next to my face. I jerk away when I see Taylor's face. 

"What?" He smirks, " You sure have changed a lot." 

"Yeah, What is it to you?"

He starts spinning the baseball on his fingers, " It might just be that it triggers me seeing my ex-girlfriend falling for my best friend. It breaks my heart." 

"Haha, very funny. Piss off, " He follows. 

"You and Luke seem to have become very close. He talks about you a lot. I got a say he knows that you're adopted and your willing to tell him, you guys must be really close."

I stop. "What?" Luke talks about me, to him. That is really the last thing I need. Having Taylor knowing my life. 

"Yeah, it makes me quite jealous. I now kinda regret breaking up with you."

"Buzz off."

As I try and walk away he steps in front of me. "What if I was serious? Would you change your mind?"

"Look, we've both changed. And I really don't think we are each other's type anymore. Plus, I think Kyra over there looks lonely, you should probably comfort her," I leave before he can say anything. 

"Alright, everyone is game night, so we will only practice in pairs. Make sure and stick with the person you were with last time." The coach instructs.

I hesitantly look around, I really don't want to pair up again with Luke.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's high school, people will talk about you, but I somehow feel betrayed. Luke is stretching, while I stay sitting down on the bleachers. I get up and start stretching. 

"Watch out," I flinch and Luke catches the ball. 

"Focus sweetheart," he backs up and dibbles backward. 

I glare at him. I walk toward the wall and grab a basketball. I approached the basket and start practicing a few shots before Luke approaches me. 

"Here you're too stiff you need to lose your wrist more," He stands beside me and shows me his form. "Here you try," he hands me the ball to try. I ignore him.

I take a shot, but the ball bounces off the board and Luke catches it. I look at him without saying anything. "Has your defense improved?" He dibbles the ball and I try to take it away. Unable to break his defense I get pushed aside, "Ugh." 

"Hey, you ok?" Luke offers his hand. I get up and grab a ball nearby. I dibble it and throw it at Luke.

"Oof," Luke falls back. "I take you still mad at me. That your just plain mean."

"It hurts when they don't tell you, doesn't it."

"Ok, now I think you're exaggerating."

"Is this about the conversation on the roof?" He gets up.

"On one side yeah. Why didn't you say anything?"

"First of all, I didn't even know it was you, O.K? And if anyone should feel mad, sad, or bad should be me, I told you things that I should have."

"Yeah, but you have been talking about me to Taylor."

"Says who?"

"How does he know about..." I look around, " You know about my parents?"

"I don't know, I didn't tell him anything."

"Well, someone did."

"I don't know. Abby, I honestly don't know. I'm sorry about not telling you about the conversation on the roof, I didn't know it was you. When I talked to you that day, I didn't put together that you were the same person."

"Fine."

"Does this mean we're cool?" He looks at me attentively. 

"Cool?" I look at my feet, "Yeah, we're cool." 

"You surprise me Abby Johnson, your brave." 

"Really and why is that?"

"You almost fought for Kyra for point guard."

"Ha, very funny. "

"Here," Luke has me a basketball ticket. "It's the ticket for my game tonight. I want you to watch me play."