Chapter 7

Apples or pears, pears, or apples, I never really been fond of fruit, especially apples and pears.

"An orange might be better," an orange is placed on my tray, I look up and Blake gives a weak smile.

"Yeah," I say looking down at the orange. Blake grabs my tray with his free hand and heads to our usual table. When we approach the table, there is no sight of Lura.

"Hey, Blake. Look who decided to show up," Taylor pats the guy beside him.

"Hey man you made it," he gives Luke a handshake-half hug. Blake sets our trays down and I sit next to him. I reach for my bottled drink and try to open it. Blake grabs it and opens it, handing it back to me. I mumble thanks. I look up and find everyone looking at us. Blake clears his throat, "so Luke are you thinking of tryout for the season?"

"Kind of late for tha-"

Luke gets cut off by Taylor," of course he is, it would be a waste of a man if he doesn't play." Blake agrees as he grabs my orange and starts to peel it. He later hands it to me fully peeled.

"No, I don't want it." I look away and find Luke looking at me as If I were on display. I didn't notice before, but Luke has blue eyes, a type of blue that seems unreal. His hair is dirty blond with shaggy waves as if he had a custom-made mix of blond and brown highlights. Luke grabs the orange and starts eating it.

"It wasn't yours to eat," he looks at me while eating the orange, "He was offering it to me".

"So, then you'll join us for not only practice but for Taylor's party, right?" Kyra asks looking at Taylor.

"Party? first time hearing that" Luke looks at Taylor.

"You know how it is. you suggested to party then your volun-told have one." Taylor looks at Kyra.

"What position do you play, Luke?" Kyra asks Luke.

"Shooting Guard," he says and the bell rings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Didn't see you at lunch?" I lean beside Lura's locker.

"Well, you know how it is when your old man is a fool. He gets drunk the day before and goes into a stupid rampage of who knows what. To top it off, my car was having some problems, and guess what that old bump not only buys me some random junk of a car but just leaves me to get drunk again. I had to walk to get here. " She huffs while trying to organize her locker. I don't say anything, instead, I hand her an apple. She eyes it and raises an eyebrow.

"Troops," I say. She hesitantly takes it and takes a bite.

"What did I miss at Lunch? I better have not missed a gorgeous caramel!" she whines.

"Ah what?" I asked concerned.

"A boy Abby. Or hot gossip. Doesn't matter, just tell me." She takes another bite of the apple.

I hesitate. "Well, actually..." I am interrupted before I could finish my sentence.

"Hey, Lu. Did you hear about the New kid? I heard that he was a starter for his basketball team. Maybe he transferred and now wants to play in our team" Hector interjects.

"We should tell Cap," Zack suggests.

"New Kid?!" She spits out the piece of apple.

"Yeah, I had him for my 2nd period." Hector chimes

Lura looks at me for information. "You guys haven't even seen the guy play, how do you know he's any good?" Lura takes out her books.

"We'll just have to see," Blake injects.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pencil's scratching, erasers fixing. And papers crumbling. The English poem is due Friday, I have no idea what I want to write, or how I am going to write it. I look over at Blake, fixing his poem. He's deep in thought, he pauses and turns a bit red. He then looks up; I turn away embarrassed.

"Are you ever going to let me see what you're writing about?" Blake asks. I make a face. He stares a bit then laughs.

Confused I ask, "What?"

He shakes while smiling, "Nothing." He then adds" It is red, bright red, red like the sauce in my pasta." He chuckles.

So, my poem was about the color red, and it wasn't about anything realistic, but he does not have to make fun of it.

"She stares with those eyes. she is enclosed, enclosed to laugh freely. But she is lovely." Blake blushes a bright red and covers my mouth with his hand. I fight him to break free. I manage to loosen his hand when we blush beet red again. I stare at him. I then feel his stare pierce my eyes, he lowers his glaze and brushes his thumb gently on my lips. He blushes again. My heart starts beating fast. The bell rings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When were you going to mention the fresh meat," Lura says feeling betrayed.

"Does it matter? You know now," I say defensively. I let down my bag on the table and take out my books.

"Ms. Mcgarden, please come here." Mrs. Jones calls out. Lura looks from me to Mr. Jones, I give her a shrug. Mrs. Jones gives Lura an envelope and Lura leaves. There's a knock on the door, and the same blond boy that was at lunch with us enters.

"Alright class, we have a new student joining us today. Introduce yourself," Mrs. Jones ordered.

"Luke. Luke Smith."

Authors note

So how is it? Is it boring or exciting with suspense and tension? Please comment below, tell me how you feel about this chapter