first interaction (Hinata's POV)

"anyone wanna volunteer to clean up the balls today?", Daichi questions us. the tone of his voice is clear and soft, with a hint of seriousness. he seems like the type of person who is able to raise his voice when he needs too.

the rest of the team declines, and he looks around at us one by one again, before i interrupt.

"i will!", i say practically jumping at his offer. not so long after i say this, the small libero joins in aswell.

"yea, me too!". as the rest of the team leaves, me and the small second year begin picking up. he seems to hyper for his own good, and not very smart.

"hey, your spikes were insane!!" he squeals. i look over at him, who's chasing a stray ball across the gym floor. i place a ball in the bin, and turn to him.

"thanks, you're really good too! you had a lot of great digs". the blond streaked boy trots up to me, with three balls in his arms. "thanks! i did a lot of summer volleyball training camps".

i glance at his glowing brown eyes. they have the same glow that mine have. a glow of innocence and promise, kind of like a puppy. we were both very similar, i could already tell, but he has this aura of mystery. i can't quite figure him out like i can everyone else.

i bend down to pick up a ball infront of me, when noya trips over a ball, and slams into me. he knocks us both over, and i fall onto my back on the gym floor. noya, who's unable to catch himself, lands directly on top of me. his face is inches from mine, and i look up into his eyes.

my face goes red, and i can practically hear my heart beating. i feel a shock go through my entire body, and i'm guessing he felt it too, because he immediately rolled off.

"i-i'm sorry" he says nervously as he struggles to catch his breath. he rushes to stand up and brush himself off, putting his hand out to me. i grasp onto his hand and he pulls me up.

when he helps me up, we're standing face to face again. his face is about 5 inches from mine. my throat tightens and i feel a warm sensation throughout my body. we both are frozen, staring at each other, before nishinoya starts to break the distance. he slowly moves his face closer to mine, hesitating as he does so. but when he realises what he's doing, he jolts back instantly.

he puts a hand behind his neck and looks all around me, refusing to make eye contact. i pick up the last few balls and turn to him. "it looks like that's all of them", i say casually. he looks up at me and nods. we make way to the practice room to grab our stuff and leave. as we walk out the door, he tilts his head at me.

"see you tomorrow, hinata", he says quietly and awkwardly. i nod to him and we go on our way.

that night, i lay in bed and can't stop thinking about that moment. maybe he's thinking about it too? probably not. i decide to play it off, and go to sleep.