↳ losing focus

a/n: ahhhhh i'm back!

*****

Jaemin was given the task of producing his own song, and a couple of the boys were sleeping over at his place to provide him with support. You were beyond proud and excited that Jaemin was finally going to debut solo soon. This was every artist's dream.

However, something was wrong when you received a text from Haechan in the middle of the night.

Haechannie: Can you come by? I think Nana needs you.

Your forehead creased in worry at the message. You hadn't heard a word from Jaemin since the whole process began, but if Haechan went out of his way to contact you, then you knew something was wrong. You grabbed a coat and headed out the door quietly so that your parents didn't wake up.

It was nearing three in the morning by the time you arrived at his house. Once knocking on the door, you waited patiently until you heard footsteps approach. The door was pulled back, revealing a very exhausted Mark.

"Hey," you offered a smile. He returned it as he gestured for you to come in, rubbing the back of his neck. When you entered the living room, Haechan was already sitting on the sofa. He jolted straight up when he saw you.

"Thank god you're here y/n," he sighed, his eyes darting to the stairs that lead to the basement, "Jae's been at it since the morning and refuses to sleep."

Your eyes widened, "he's been working for that long?"

Mark nodded beside you, "He's too anxious about getting the song done. We keep telling him it's fine and that he can work on it tomorrow, but he won't listen to either of us."

"Could you try talking to him?" Haechan pleaded. "We won't be able to sleep if he can't. You're the only person we know who can persuade him."

You furrowed your brows and nodded firmly, handing the snacks to the boys and quietly heading down the stairs to where Jaemin was.

It's been a while since you visited, but the place still felt and looked the same. When you reached the bottom, you turned to see Jaemin sitting on a chair and staring at the double monitor screens in front of him. He was too immersed in his work to have noticed you. You leaned over the stair railing and the corner of your lips tugged up.

This felt totally nostalgic. Back when you were kids, Jaemin always went on about his plans of making an at-home studio in his basement. By the time he was in middle school he was recruited by SM Entertainment, and when he entered high school, he had finally gotten around to build his workroom. You'd often watch him record and practice, admiring his skills.

The place had definitely upgraded since then

The place had definitely upgraded since then. The walls were lined with posters, including the other NCT members, and decorations like LED lights were added where they weren't before. You took a second to admire the set-up before you finally approached him.