↳ remember (2)

A/N: hey y'all! Just a side note for this one-shot in case you guys don't get it- there's a section where y/n experiences flashbacks in between what happens in the present, and you'll see this when the dialogue is italicized.

*****

Your eyes fluttered to his, looking for a sign to see if he was joking around. "Don't do that," you said quietly, gripping your arm. "I'm gonna get the wrong idea."

He took a step closer so that he was just a few inches away from you. You were looking down at the ground, feeling so lost and confused. It can't be true.

You then felt his hand reached out to your chin, gently lifting it so that you were looking up at him. His smile was gentle, yet sad.

"What if it's not wrong at all?"

You swallowed thickly, not believing a word that he said. "W-What?"

Jaemin let his hand fall down to his side, a wistful smile on his face. "Do you wanna take a walk?"

You didn't know how you were feeling right now. There were so many thoughts running in your head.

There were two options: head home and stay up all night wondering what the heck just happened, or go on a walk with Jaemin at this hour and figure out what's going on through his head. You knew the first option wasn't going to do you any good. It was true that you had some school work to finish, but something told you that you weren't going to be able to concentrate. So you went with the latter.

You slowly nodded your head, "Okay."

The two of you began walking down the street once again, past the bus stop. A silence feel between the two of you, making you nervous. Occasionally you could feel his shoulder brush against yours, almost to the rhythm of your heart.

"So how have you been?" you blurted, not sure what else to say. The silence was killing you. You heard Jaemin begin to chuckle at your side.

"It's kind of late to ask that right now, don't you think?" he smirked.

"Not at all," you argued, feeling your cheeks burn in embarassment. "It's never too late to ask someone how they are."

Jaemin bent his head down, kicking rocks along the pavement as he took a second to ponder. "I guess I've been well," he finally answered before glancing towards you.

"What about you?"

You sighed, thinking about the question yourself. How were you? How were you really?

"Honestly," you began, feeling your shoulders slump. "I could be better."

His brows furrowed. "And why do you say that?"

A tiny smile crept onto your lips, your mind flashing back to your days in high school. You and Jaemin would sit on the grassy fields at the back of the school, away from everyone else. Jaemin was the first person you began to share everything with because you trusted him the most. He was always a great listener, knowing when to speak and when it was appropriate not to. It felt nice knowing he was still able to show concern when you weren't feeling the greatest.

"You know, the usual," you laughed, though it sounded a little bitter. "I live alone with my mom now, so it's a bit tricky trying to help cover the expenses while still doing school."

Jaemin stopped in his tracks, forcing you to stop as well and look back at him. "Wait- you live with only with her?"

You blinked at him, trying to figure out why he looked so lost until the realization dawn on you. "Oh. Right."