Chapter 57: When Lies Unravel

Start from the beginning

"I hate you." I whisper.

"I know." He whispers back.

His arms reach beneath me, and sweep me off of my feet. He holds me close to his chest, carrying me bridal style outside of his office and down the hall back to my bedroom.

He places me gently onto the bed and pulls the covers over me as I curl up into a ball and press my face into the pillow.

I hear Matteo's footsteps fade away as he heads to the door, but I quickly stop him. "Please just stay with me for a bit. I don't want to be alone." I whisper, and surprisingly he hears me, and takes a seat beside me on the bed.

"Okay." He says.

I cry until I can't anymore. Until I'm too exhausted and can only heave in breaths of air.

I can feel myself falling asleep, and the last thing I hear before fall unconscious, is the two words:

"I'm sorry."

Matteo Giovanni POV:

It's been a few days since I let Mia know of her friend Alice's death.

And it's killing me every single minute of every day, knowing that I lied to her.

She rarely leaves her room, and the only time she does is when she comes out for food. I make sure that I'm not around when she does, I know I'm the last person that she wants to see.

But as well as dealing with Mia, I've also had to deal with other problems.

With the underworld currently in chaos, my workload has increased exponentially. Everyone is panicking, wondering if what just happened will happen again, if they are next. My business deals have been put on hold until the funeral and everything is at a stand still.

It's as if everyone is silent, waiting for the day of the funeral. No one knows what is to happen once everything is confirmed, but one thing everyone is sure about, is that loyalties will be tested, and war may be a consideration.

I look down at my phone, glancing at the text I had received a few days ago.

It's an image of Mia's friend Alice, sprawled on the floor. She looks half dead, her skin stained all over, black and blue. She has horrible cuts all over her body and it's hard to determine where they all are, as the blood covers almost every inch of her skin.

And the text below reads:

Bring Mia to the funeral, or she dies.

I had to lie to Mia. If she knew that her friend was being tortured, if she knew that her friend's life was being threatened... It would kill her.

And bringing her to the funeral is totally out of the question. If I took her, she would be exposed. The person knows that the funeral is where they have the best opportunity to kill her, and me. I won't let that happen.

So I told Mia that Alice is dead.

This way I can keep her here, and she won't have the guilt of knowing that her friend is going to die.

No, I'll take that guilt for her.

My phone begins to ring and I pick it up. "Yes?"

"Sir, ummmm, your sister is here to see you." Alistair says.

What the fuck is she doing here? I swear, after what happened at the ball in Osaka, I thought she wouldn't have the guts to show her face in front of me again.

"Don't let her up." I say.

"She really insists, she says she needs to talk to you about something important. She mentioned the name Harry."