58- Settled Fiancé

Start from the beginning

"I'm not lying though! Taehyung did accept my proposal first," Hyungwon insisted as Taehyung's eyes widened in realization. "You lied to me then! You told me nobody had to know about it! That it would just be for show so that Papa wouldn't be angry with me! You told me the ring was only for Papa's eyes," Taehyung cried out, throwing his inhaler at Hyungwon. "I don't want to marry you! I'd rather die," Taehyung added as Jungkook pulled Taehyung's head tight against his chest, Jungkook's hand still remaining on Taehyung's forehead and forcing the elder to lean close to his lips.

"Don't you ever say that again," Jungkook whispered tensely in Taehyung's ear as the elder pouted, nodding in silence. Taehyung's mother cleared her throat as Hyungwon handed Taehyung's inhaler to her to give back to Taehyung. "You will tell them you lied," she reiterated, handing Taehyung his inhaler once more. "You will tell them that you were being selfish but that Jungkook was his first choice, is that clear?" She asked pensively, folding her hands in front of her dress. Hyungwon huffed as he crossed his arms over his chest, grumbling quietly to himself. "Fine. I'll tell them that I lied," he mumbled, a look of sorrowful dejection crossing his features.

Taehyung would have felt bad if Hyungwon hadn't been such an asshole throughout the night. His father slowly stood to his feet as they all walked towards the music room doors once more. His mother pulled them open as they walked towards the center of the ballroom once again. This time, Taehyung's mother demanded attention when she tapped the blunt end of a knife against her champagne glass. Though all eyes were already on them again as she cleared her throat.

With a voice that was a little too enthusiastic and boisterous, she noted that Hyungwon had something to say. Hyungwon cleared his throat and closed his eyes, embarrassed that he'd ever said anything. "I- I apologize for my outburst earlier. I shouldn't have said any of that... because it was all lies... I wanted to keep Taehyung and Jungkook from getting engaged because I... I still wanted a chance with Taehyung," Hyungwon announced, sighing softly as Taehyung's mother smiled on. "But I've realized that he wouldn't be happy with anyone else other than Jungkook and that I can't be selfish with Taehyung any longer," Hyungwon finished with memories of a young Taehyung following him around in wonder. Taehyung had always seemed so interested in and content with Hyungwon when he was younger, but now, Hyungwon knew the Taehyung had finally found his own voice and defiance as he stepped aside. He pushed Taehyung and Jungkook forward with a bow of his head, those memories still haunting him as he forced back any emotion in his voice.

"So with a heavy heart, I relinquish Taehyung into your care, Jungkook. May you two live happily together," Hyungwon toasted, raising another glass as Taehyung's mother and father raised their glasses as well. Applause suddenly erupted within the silent ballroom as Taehyung and Jungkook bowed towards the guests. Taehyung held Jungkook's hand, smiling his boxy smile as they stood up straight once again. Jungkook stared at Taehyung's profile, mesmerized by Taehyung's flawless skin and beautiful smile. His expression softened as he stared at Taehyung before he smiled his bunny smile towards him when the latter looked over at him.

Taehyung and Jungkook stepped down off of the stage still holding hands when they were rushed by a crowd of people. The crowd insisted on talking with them as Jungkook politely tried to lead Taehyung toward the door of the ballroom. Although they couldn't quite sneak away with everyone wanting to talk to Taehyung about his engagement to Jungkook and ask how they'd met. Jungkook could tell it was already becoming much too overwhelming for Taehyung as his eyes darted rapidly about each person that shouted a question at him.

Taehyung answered their questions with dignity and grace, although Jungkook could tell that he was still immensely turned on. Jungkook was becoming bothered by the many people snatching Taehyung's hand away from Jungkook just to see the ring. Before long, Jungkook found himself separated from Taehyung by the many people snatching Taehyung's hand and the many female patrons asking how Jungkook pulled off such a stunt as "sacking" Taehyung. The term in itself infuriated Jungkook because if anything, Taehyung had been the one pursuing him so passionately and patiently. Jungkook was just enchanted that Taehyung had the patience of a saint to put up with his bullshit for so long.