Chapter 35

Sophia

Everything changed the moment she left. Adrien changed.

After I made Chuck sleep that night Adrien called me. "Adrien you wanted to talk?" I asked as I entered the study room. "Bitch!" he screamed at me and he slapped me. I was too shocked to react, I mean what just happened? "Adrien why-"  I tried to ask but he stopped me mid way, he was drunk and angry. "Shutup! What do you think of yourself ? That mother of yours what does she think , huh, she can leave me for some low life druggie and you and your brother can live off me". I was unable to process what he is talking about. "What are you saying Adrien this is my home. The property even belongs to me". I tried to reason with him. He laughed at me "Really? Where princess in your dreams or on your birthday cake because last I checked your mother has transferred the deed on my name"  He spitted out the words at me. "What?" "Yes I am your legal guardian too hence everything that belongs to you is mine and I want you both leaches out of my house". I was beyond shocked I didn't know what to do I did not want to stay like this but  I didn't want to go either. It is my home, how can he say as if I am living off someone. I was born here. The thought that bothered me most that how will I take care of Chuck. Mom had no relatives that I can turn to and Dad's family didn't know that we even existed. I can't risk the foster care. What if they take Chuck away from me , I mean I was just 15, they will not give me his custody. He was all I left I couldn't loose him. So I did what I never did before, I begged him.

"Adrien please don't do this where will we go how will I take care of my brother he is so young please I will do anything". He told me that he will give Chuck a good life if I pay for it. By giving up what I wanted Chuck to have and I agreed. I gave up everything because I wanted my brother to have everything. He should have everything. I accepted all the terms of Adrien.

"What were the terms? How come I never knew about this? Adrien never hurt me, why did he did that you? Why haven't you told me" Chuck asked me shaking me a bit by holding me from both hands "You were a child Chuck, what was I supposed to tell you? You were just 13, the things you should have worried about was is superman better or batman? or-or what new prank you should plan with your friends at school or Can you score more baskets than yesterday? Not how you will get food tomorrow? You were just a child kiddo" I said to him cupping his cheek.

"So were you." I heard Ricardo for the first time. "What were the terms, what you gave up for your brother?" he asked and I continued the story.

"To be the maid of the house instead of the "princess". He said if I wanted my brother to have education I have to quit highschool. If Chuck needs a room and his comfortable life then I will have to give up my room and comforts. If I wanted Chuck to have every meal then I have to eat Adrien's leftovers because he is not going spend his earnings for us to enjoy. "What? You want me to quit school? But why, I promise you I won't ask you for any supplies or any money. I will handle it?" I pleaded him to let me get my graduation atleast. "You think I am fool, its your father's school obviously you will handle it. Fine if you get the time after doing the chores you can." He said and I agreed to live in the outhouse with the maids. But I was shocked at his words as he spitted out while taking a drag of his cigar. "What maids honey? You are the maid." "Are you insane how will I do everything alone? Its a twenty bedroom mansion you, expect me to clean it alone when we have fifteen servants right now" I asked him couldn't believing my ears "Oh no 'princess' we had 15 servants now we have 1, who is standing in front of me. I am sure now the school couldn't fit in the time table" he said mocking me. "Why are you doing this? What have I ever done to you? You already have all the money you need?" I asked him getting angry and he grabbed my throat "Because I hate your mother, she dared to leave me. She made my life miserable and now I will take my revenge by making your life miserable because you are the one she loved most. So you will pay the price." he left my throat and I fell on the ground. "Hell she loved me. If she would have she wouldn't have left me with a monster like you" I lashed out on him and he broke his whiskey bottle at my face. I covered my face with my hand and turned and the glasses cut through my back. He kicked me in the ribs so many time that I almost passed out. He pulled me up with my arm and said pushing the glass pieces inside making the wounds bleed "Listen Princess either you do what I say without giving me attitude or you can pack up and leave my home with your brother. Now be a good girl, clean up this mess, pack up the necessities and move to the store closet beneath the stairs I am sure you will love it . Don't you love reading Harry Potter to your brother" he said sarcastically. He pulled my hair and said "Because now when you will only enter the biggest bedroom of my house is to clean it not sleep in it." He said as he pushed me back on the floor before leaving the study. "Wait" I stopped him. "I will do whatever you want, I will be the maid but you have to promise me that Chuck will never know any of it. You will never hurt him or tell him about our arrangement". "Your brother is your problem Princess not mine. Keep him out of my way and nothing will happen. And stop staining my carpet with your blood."  

 He was right, there was no time left for school after cleaning, cooking, laundry, dishes and hundred other jobs and beatings he used to give me. The only thing he never asked me was to bring groceries or rather anything. I rarely stepped out of the house. I used to be so tired to go out anyway. Initially he wouldnt even let me sleep untill I fill a notebook writing "I am a slave not a princess" every night. It was his way of making me accept the terms so that I can learn my place in that house.

I will not say that running away never came to my mind. It came almost everyday but every time I saw Chuck laughing everything seems that's it worth it. I can take anything to keep my baby brother happy." I said as kissed Chuck on the forehead. He was already crying. "Don't cry kiddo, you are my baby brother I would have done anything for you" I said wiping his tears. "You did Sophie. I am sorry that you had to go through all this alone but why you weren't there when I came back?" He asked me and I continued the story while walking past him 

"I thought I could handle Adrien as the months passed but then his friends started coming over for drinks and poker. They used to stay late till either everyone looses the game or passed out. Though, Adrien never called me in front of them, yet I have to cook for them and clean up their messes. I was just thankful that Adrien never asked me to meet them. 

One similar nights they were all here and I was doing the dishes when one of them came strolling in the kitchen, I was scared and he was way too drunk. I could see his intentions were not just to take beer from the fridge in the way he was looking at me. He said  walking towards me "woah, Adrien didn't tell he had such a beauty hidden away" I tried move past him to reach my room but he held me and gropped me. I was struggling when his body flew away from me, he fell on floor and passed out. I looked at to who saved me. There was a suited man with tattoos showing from his sleeves. He looked so classy, he was so goodlooking like the guys I used to see on TV. "Thank You Mr.-" I thanked him and stopped mid way not knowing his name. "Marc, Marc DeLuca" he told me. "Thank you Mr. DeLuca" I said as I moved passed him "You can call me Marc Ms. - " he said asking my name as he extended his hand for me to shake. "Sophia" I told him my name as I shook his hand. He took my hand and turned it. He brought my hands and pecked lightly on my knuckles "It's a pleasure meeting such a beautiful girl like you Sophia". I smiled for the first time I felt something. "Thank you Marc for saving me." I said to smiling. "Its all my pleasure. Don't worry no one will touch you like that bastard again. You are way too delicate to be touched like that Dove" he said rubbing my knuckles. I withdrew my hand too quickly. I didn't know but all of a sudden his charms made me uncomfortable. I cringed at his nickname but didn't respond and left from there. He might be creepy but he did save me . 

Then he started coming every day or I started noticing apparently he was Adrien's best friend. But he never crossed my path, generally they keep it to themselves. We just used to exchange smiles. I generally used to spend that time with Chuck in his room anyways. I remember how we used to play video games and listen him complaining about school.