Chapter 26

Skystar shook the coldness from her stiff bones as her and Shadeheart returned to the WindClan camp. It felt odd to be the leader after so many moons under Redstar's rule, and seeing Softear's lifeless body curled tightly against the dead leader made her heart ache for them even more. Shadeheart glanced nervously at the mentor who taught him for so long, but he faced forward, a determinated light gleaming in his amber eyes.

"Get the Clan together," the medicine cat told the new leader, his gaze intense. "I'll see if I can't tidy the clearing up before they gather."

Skystar nodded, unease growing in her belly. She'd have to name a deputy before moonhigh, but who would she choose? Neither of the older warriors would agree with a younger cat becoming a leader, and choosing a young cat to be deputy. There are so many capable cats to become deputy, how can I choose a single one? She leaped on top of the Fallen Tree, the weathered oak bark creaked under her paws and she winced. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather beneath the Fallen Tree for a Clan meeting!" The summoning words felt strange on her tongue, and she hoped she'd get used to it before too long.

"Why is there a Clan meeting when the sun's barely up?" Jayfang groaned as he and Sloestrike bustled out of the elder's den.

"Skytail!" Featherpaw charged from the apprentice's den, her eyes wide with excitement. She skidded to a halt before her mother, trembling with joy. "Or are you Skystar now?"

"Now now, Featherpaw," Sparkheart yawned as she joined the apprentice, gazing up at her mate with intense pride in her blue eyes. "I'm sure she'll explain everything to the Clan. Go find us a place to sit." Nudging Featherpaw away, she turned to Skystar. "You're the leader now, aren't you?" Skystar nodded glumly. "My father chose the right cat for the job." She purred and turned to catch up with Featherpaw.

Skystar glanced up to see the rest of the Clan already gathering, their movements slow and tails dragging behind them. She cleared her throat nervously and began to speak. "Cats of WindClan! I have returned from the Moonpool and received my nine lives and new name from StarClan."

Featherpaw jumped up and down with glee. "Skystar!" She cheered.

Sparkheart raised her voice, pride dripping from every word. "Skystar! Skystar!" As the Clan kicked up the cheering, Skystar could hear the disapproval from the older warriors, specifically Ravenstem, Rabbitspring, and Greenscar.

Waving her tail for silence, Skystar went on. "As customary for a new leader, I must appoint a deputy before moonhigh." She stared around at the gathered crowd and drew in a deep breath. "I say these words before StarClan, so they may hear and approve my choice. Morningshine will be the new deputy of WindClan!"

The black-and-white she-cat looked confused as she rose to her paws and dipped her head in acceptance. She said nothing, but Skystar wasn't surprised. She's never been much of a talker.

"Morningshine! Morningshine! Morningshine!" Skystar felt pleased at her choice, settling with the older warrior seemed to be a good idea. She was about to dismiss the Clan when Shellwing rose to his paws and yowled for the Clan's attention.

"I have something to tell you all," the young tom began once the Clan had quieted down enough to hear him. Some of the warriors around him murmured to one another, keeping one eye on Shellwing suspiciously. "Since Cloversong's death, I've realized I don't want to be a warrior anymore. I've fought and hunting alongside you all for my entire life, but I don't want this anymore."

Martenclaw looked baffled as he stared at his brother. "Are you going to become a medicine cat?" He glanced at Shadeheart, who watched silently. "Is he going to become your apprentice so soon after Softear's death?"