Chapter 17

Sparkheart had gone through the dirtplace tunnel out of camp. Her scent trail was hot, and Skytail was smothered in her rage and betrayal. With Featherkit at her heels, she was padding through the gorse and emerged on the other side to see Sparkheart's red-and-white tabby pelt on the outer barrier. Silently taking Featherkit between her teeth, Skytail cleared the wall and set the kit down.

Sparkheart's back was facing them, but her shoulders were hunched and her head was bowed. Her nicked right ear was barely visible through the darkening light. Making sure they were alone, Skytail cleared her throat. At once, Sparkheart's head shot up and she whipped around, her eyes flashing before relaxing upon seeing Skytail and Featherkit. Although Skytail noticed, she didn't meet her eyes as she turned back around and hunched over once more.

"Sparkheart," she mewed, keeping her voice light and gentle as she slowly approached her mate. Sparkheart's left ear twitched at the sound of her voice, but she didn't turn around. "Sparkheart."

"Go away, Skytail," Sparkheart growled, her voice sounding bitter and high-pitched. Skytail stopped in her tracks, catching a note of sadness in her mew. "I want to be alone."

Listen to her, you idiot. Her mind scolded her as she started toward her again. She calls the shots, not you. Pushing her thoughts away, she sat down next to her mate, making sure not to touch her in case she flinched away. "Hey." Sparkheart didn't answer. She shifted closer. "Sparky?"

"Don't call me that," Sparkheart growled, glaring at her white paws. Her ears were flat against her head and her neck fur began to bristle into sharp spikes. "My name is Sparkheart. Not Sparky."

Skytail gulped and looked at her mate. "Featherkit is here," she meowed softly. Sparkheart's body stiffened and she winced quietly. "You'll never guess what she said."

"Do I even want to know?" Sparkheart said sarcastically, shooting Skytail a glare that pierced her heart.

She shivered, but went on. "She told me that you were her mother, and so am I." Skytail watched as Sparkheart's blue eyes widened in shock and she lifted her head, turning it to gaze at Skytail.

"She-she did?" Sparkheart whispered, her eyes wide with surprise and warmth. At Skytail's nod, she called to the little kit, who tottered uneasily over. "Featherkit, is it true that you said we were your mothers?" She meowed, her tone unexpectedly soft and gentle like sheep's wool.

Featherkit looked at Skytail before answering in a small voice. "Y-yes," she mewed, before looking back up at Sparkheart, distress in her green eyes. "I-I hate seeing you guys fighting all the time. I know you love each other, b-but you could never have kits together." She looked down at her paws, deep in a frustrated thought.

Skytail suddenly felt awkward talking about having kits in front of a kit. She glanced at Sparkheart, who was staring encouragingly at Featherkit as though she was her next piece of fresh-kill.

Finally, Featherkit looked up at them again. "How did you have me?" She asked, her voice a high-pitched squeak.

"I rescued you from the stream that borders us and ThunderClan," Skytail explained. "I brought you to WindClan and you've been raised by us ever since." She leaned against Sparkheart's side, reveling at the thought of saying 'us'. We really have become parents to Featherkit.

Sparkheart looked over at Skytail and held her gaze for a brief moment before sighing. "Featherkit, could you give us a moment?" She asked, glancing at the kit.

Featherkit, seeming to get whatever message Sparkheart wasn't saying, nodded and skittered off through the gorse into the dirtplace.

Once she was gone, Skytail turned to face Sparkheart. "Listen, I-"