Chapter 26: The Calm Before The Storm

The instant sun glare that hits my eyes doesn't bother me.

I only choose to focus on the mirror reflection of the key charm on my necklace as I twirl it in my fingers. I sigh knowing Peeta is on the other side of the district.

My eyes slide towards my simple engagement ring hanging beside it. I smile, knowing I'm engaged. I'm 18 years old and engaged. Might that be too young? My mind continues to show me the events of last night. It seems it was weeks ago that he proposed yet it was only not even a day ago.

My phone vibrates beside me on the desk and my head snaps down to see if it was Peeta. I frown when it isn't yet have a slight smile reappear when I notice it's from Madge. I unlock my phone and answer her question of meeting up tomorrow with a yes. Once I see it's sent, I exit and go to my photos.

My finger immediately travels to one folder in particular. I touch the first picture and it comes up with Peeta and I smiling at the camera. My wide smile suddenly comes back as I start scrolling through the many photos of us. Each Peeta nearly doing the same action, him kissing me. A couple of happy tears absentmindedly fall from my eyes and I remember the moment they were taken.

Some aren't happy at all and involve us crying. I have then to remind myself that our love towards one another is strong.

I slowly continue to admire each one but my finder stops swiping at that same one. It is the best and most memorable one I've had with him. It was us in front of a mirror, his arms wrapped fully around my body and our foreheads and noses touching. Both of us carrying big loving smiles. That was our 6 month anniversary and we were so happy that we made it that far. I lock my phone after scrolling through some more.

I love Peeta so much, I can't believe we are going to get married at some point. After a while of thinking about our relationship I hear my parents call me from downstairs. I unlock my phone to see the time and scan the quote I live by: "smile and let everyone know that today, you're a lot stronger than you were yesterday." which I made my background, before walking to the room they are in.

I enter the door and manage to keep in the gasps and fear when I see the cover of the newspaper my father is reading.

A photo of Peeta and I from when we went to the bakery takes most of the room on the page. The bold headline reading, 'PEETA MELLARK DATING BRUNETTE RIVAL?'

I see my father and mother lower the newspaper and look at me. Father plainly looks towards me with disappointment whereas my mother is fuming. She boldly stands up, looking me dead in the eyes. I can't force myself to move.

She walks towards me, her emotion not changing.

She grabs my necklace chain and yanks it, taking me with her. She sees the key and engagement ring.

I see more fury burning in her eyes and she pushes me with force to the ground. I stare at her wide eyed and try to sit up.

"How dare you!" She screams and her foot meets my temple.

I fall down again and my head faces the wall. As my eyes absentmindedly close and I enter oblivion I make one thought clear, we're done.