Chapter 5: The Truth Behind Her

I stand there, still. I can't fully register what just happened. I watch his figure get smaller and smaller as he walks into the distance. Soon his body disappears from my eyes.

I don't know how long I stay there. I can't move.

Shocked. Stunned. In awe. In love?

He actually loves me, even though this family rivalry stands in place. He might be willing to fight.
I touch my forehead with my fingers, over the spot where he kissed it. I lower my fingers down to my lips and keep them there. He kissed me.

My first kiss by someone I love besides my family. That's when I realise. I love him. "Peeta." I whisper. "I do too."

I let the silence linger for a few more minutes before I finally have the brain to tell me to look towards the sky. It's getting darker but it's still light.

My eyes widen and my feet take off into a run. I don't stop. I can't stop. I keep running. Stumbling a few times as I go.

It feels like I've been running only for a matter of seconds before I see the house on the horizon.
I've been out too long!

The speed I run at makes it a very short remainder of the trip to the front door. Out of breath as I reach the top of the staircase outside the front door, I rest. Regaining my breath.

I lean again the closed door and try to continue to get the moment registered but it isn't. It won't do as I ask.

It doesn't take long until I think I have got my breath back. I stand straight again and quietly open the door.

I poke my head in to see if my mother is anywhere close. I see no one near the door. I silently sigh in relief and get myself inside.

I quietly close the door and try to act natural. I walk down the hallway in the direction of the kitchen. Until now, I never realised I was actually hungry.

"Well look who finally showed up." I hear her say from behind me and I stop in my tracks.
I slowly turn to face Mum who is leaning against the living room door frame. With arms crossed, she walks up to me with a slight smirk.

I freeze in my place and tense. My left hand goes to clutch my elbow and the grip immediately tightens, preparing for the worst.

"You said you wouldn't be out longer than I would like." In seconds her hands raises and slaps the side of my face. I quietly cry in pain as the stinging worsens after the impact. I feel tears form in the brim of my eyes but I don't it them fall.

"You stayed out too long for my liking. You knew the consequences." She says and the other side of my face makes contact with her fist.

I cry in pain again and lower to the ground, covering my head with my arms. My only protection from her blows.

"GO UPSTAIRS YOU STUPID GIRL! I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN!" She screams and storms off.

Once I know she's gone, I let the tears flow. I slowly lift my head to make sure she's gone. I see she is and sprint upstairs to my room, trying my best to ignore the throbbing cheeks I now have.
I crash into my door and push it open once I reach my bedroom. I slam it shut again and run to the bathroom, slamming it closed as well.

I look into the bathroom mirror and see the version of myself I don't want. My hand reaches up to touch my swelling cheek but the pain is so immense my hand can't. One cheek is rose red and you can now see a faint outline of her hand and the other shows the formation of a bruise.

I let out violent sobs and back up against the door. My body slides down and I sit on the floor. I close my eyes and lean my head on the door.

"Peeta." I murmur in between sobs. "Help me Peeta." I plead. Even though I plead, he can't help me. Eventually sleep finds me.