Chapter 13: Not As Planned

Pacing back and forth around my room with my arms crossed is all I can do physically. Mentally, I'm so consumed in fear and sadness.

I know that Peeta is downstairs with my mother and I'm scared to death. Something is going to be said or happen and it will all go down.

I start running my fingers through my flowing hair and biting my lips.
"Please be okay Peeta. Please be oka-" I repeat but soon be interrupted by my mother.

"Katniss." She says quite politely for once.

"Yes?" I call back.

"Can you come down please?" She says in a tone of voice I never knew she had. I gulp before exiting and heading downstairs into the living room. I slow my pace as I enter the room and keep my head down.

"Katniss." My mother greets me, more stern than before, and I tilt my head up to look at her.

"Can you please escort Peeta here out of the house." I nod and turn towards Peeta.

"This way." I say to him. He farewells my mother and exits the room. I follow his movement before turning back to mother. She threatens me for a beating shortly with her devilish frown and I feel my eyes widen.

I quickly turn away and exit out. I go to Peeta and we walk side by side to the door.i entwine our fingers carefully before asking him, "How did it go?"

"Alright I guess. I won't know until I found out from you." I sigh and look to our moving feet.

"She's probably going to get me when you leave. She gave me the look she always threatens me with." I murmur and we approach the front door.

We turn to face each other and Peeta takes my face in his hands. He starts to shower my face in kisses and I smile. He circles my face and when he gets to my chin, our lips make contact. We make the kiss long and Peeta separates us. Peeta frowns at me.

"You'll be okay, she won't hurt you. My kisses made sure of that." I giggle at his comment and peck his lips. "There's that smile." He adds and I smile wider at him.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" I ask and start opening the door.

"Yeah, normal time?"

"Yeah. I love you." I state and kiss his cheek before he walks out.

"Love you too." He says before he walks away with a wave into the afternoon. I smile as I watch him walk away and when he is out of my sight I close the door.

A hand latches over my mouth and I try not to scream. I recognise the perfume scent as my mothers and she drags me away from the door. Once we're a distance away from the door she throws me to the ground. My head starts pounding as I hit the floor and she kicks me in the sides. I shield my body and hear her scream in my ear.

"HOW DID HE KNOW!?" My lips quiver and I make out my lie in a stutter.

"I - I don't know." My mother walks off with a huff and Poppy immediately comes to my aid. But I don't move, I just start crying.