Chapter 16: There Is Always A First

"Peeta?" I murmur into the phone when he picks up on the first ring.

"Kat? You okay?" He asks me, slightly concerned.

"I had a nightmare a - and -" I start but can't get the rest out.

"What happened Katniss?" He asks calmingly, coaxing me to keep explaining.

"Mother killed you!" I quietly exclaim and start crying over the dream for the 4th time since it happened.

"Oh Katniss. Katniss, I'm alive and okay. I'm talking to you right now." He repeats in attempt to soothe me over the phone. "Katniss, listen to me okay?" He asks.

"Mhm." I mumble and let him continue.

"We can have our first date today. How's that?" He suggests and I shoot up sitting in the bed.

"Oh my gosh Peeta yes!" I exclaim and cover my mouth with my free hand.

"We can have a picnic at the lake okay?"

"Okay." I agree and smile widely. "When then?" I add.

"How about you head to the lake in 1/2 an hour. I'll meet you there."

"Okay." I simply reply again.

"Wear something pretty." He instructs me and I nod but realise he can't see me.

"Alright then. See you in 1/2 an hour. Love you, bye!"

"Bye. Love you Kat!" He farewells and I end the call. I immediately get out of bed and squeal before starting to get ready. I'm having my first date with Peeta!

----------------------

I am nearly at the lake but from the view I see, it's in its normal state. It's pretty hot so I chose to wear a nude pink top; denim 3/4 length jeans and put my hair into a side braid.

Every footstep I come closer to having my first date with Peeta. Soon enough I enter the clearing. I look to my left and gasp. I cover my mouth with both my hands and had to take a step back. Peeta stands there with a mini picnic laid out.

Tears start flowing down my face. I run up to him and hug him. I kiss Peeta's cheek and Peeta's arms encircle around me.

"Oh Peeta. It's wonderful!" I exasperate cover my mouth again with my hand.

"Anything for our first date Katniss." he comments and hands me a tree branch with cherry blossoms all along it.

"Oh Peeta. How did you know?" I ask and admire the small flowers.

"Let's just say I asked you friend."

"Poppy?" I confirm and he nods. I smile and we share a kiss. "Thank you." I comment and we sit down on the blanket he set out. I lean against his side and he wraps his arm around my back.

Peeta grabs something from the basket beside him that I didn't know was beside him. He pulled out a box and place in the gap between us. Then I notice what it.

"Chocolate covered strawberries!" I exclaim and he smiles.

"Yup." He grabs one and gets me to eat it. "Prepared by me." I raise my eyebrows.

"Really? They're delicious!" I comment and he kisses my cheek.

Throughout the time we are together, we exchange small chat and feed each other the strawberries. Once down I lie on his legs and he upbraids my hair.

"I like your hair down." He states and I chuckle. I pull him down and we share kisses. He soon looms over me as we share kisses and we don't stop.