Chapter 12: Next To Him

"Peeta!" I exasperate and run into his open arms. We both wrap our arms around each other and Peeta spins me around.

I bury my neck into his shoulder and let my feet touch the ground once more. I feel my tears falling down my cheeks and landing on Peeta's shoulder. Sobs escape my mouth and Peeta strokes my hair, trying to calm me.

"How are we going to keep this going Peeta?" I ask him.

"We are going to do everything we can. We've been supposedly dating for a couple of months now and I seriously want to take you on a proper date." I slightly chuckle but the sadness still consumes me. "Buts that not on my mind right now." Peeta adds and I tilt my head to look up at him, confused. My expression posing a question as to why. Peeta answers my confusion.

"My girlfriends mother abuses my beautiful girlfriend." My face falls at his statement and I look towards his chest.

"I'm not happy about that." He comments and I bury my head into his shirt. Peeta sighs and kisses my head. "I know it's not your fault." I nod into his shirt and I tighten my arms around him.

"Katniss." He starts and I feel him detach my arms from behind him and he takes hold of my hands.

"Yeah." I say and sniff. Peeta kneels down in front of me and I look into his blue eyes.

"Please. Please let me talk to your mother." He begs and I frown.

"Peeta. I don't know. It could ruin us." I answer back.

"I don't care. I won't mention our relationship. I might mention that I want to date you but please. I want her to stop abusing you and stop this feud."

I slowly nod. "Okay." I murmur and Peeta stands up and we share a kiss. "Gale's coming for dinner so I better go." I sadly say.

"Alright. I'll see you here tomorrow and I'll talk to your mother." Peeta says and we share another quick kiss. I slip my hands slowly from his and walk back inside preparing for the next few hours I will be dreading.

I enter the house and slowly close the door, hoping not to make a sound. "Katniss." I hear after I sigh and turn to see Poppy. "Did you talk to him?"

"Yeah." I answer to her and pause before adding. "He's coming to talk to mother tomorrow." I see Poppy's mouth drop and my stomach churns at the thought.

-------------------

I am forced to sit next to Gale at the dinner table like always. I hate it so much. I'm not in the mood and the thought of Peeta and my relationship ending possibly tomorrow makes it worse.
I do my best to ignore everyone and just eat in silence.

My parents and his parents are all engrossed in conversation in which I choose to zone out.

I flinch when I feel a hand on my thigh. I see it's Gale's hand. I mentally roll my eyes and turn to face him. I shoot daggers into his eyes when our eyes meet and he removes his hand when he realises I'm annoyed and uncomfortable at his gesture.

Throughout the night he continues to make small moves and I absolutely hate it. Near the end of the night he places his hand over mine and I quickly remove mine.

At that point I couldn't take it anymore. I push myself away from the table and stand up. The screech causes everyone to turn towards me.

"I'm going to the bathroom." I state and leave without hearing the responses. I exit the room and when I am out of sight from them, tears flow down my cheeks.

Oh how I find my life is so much of a misery and how only Poppy, Prim and Peeta can enlighten me and change that.