Chapter 11: The Call

I immediately pull out my phone that I realised was in my pocket.

Tears now streaming down my face and sobs forming, I search in my contacts for Peeta.
I go on his name and look up to Poppy. She gives me a nod and stands up to come besides me.

I press the call button and place the phone against my ear. I wait for Peeta to answer. It takes a while but he eventually does.

"Hello?" He asks.

"P-Peeta?" I stutter. In the background I hear a chair screech before he replies.

"Oh my gosh! Are you okay baby?" He asks.

"N-no." I say and let out a sob.

"What's happened?" he asks as I think he walks up stairs. I don't reply and start quietly sobbing. Poppy strokes my leg and sits down in front me. I hear a door open and close his end.

"Kat, what's happened?" He repeats.

"I think m-mum knows." I exclaim to him.

"Knows what?"

"About us Peeta." I answer and lean my head back against the door.

"Oh." he murmurs and I burst into louder sobs. "Kat! Ssshhh! It's okay, I'm here talking to you." he comforts, sadness I can hear in his voice. Poppy strokes one side of my hair which I wish Peeta was doing.

I close my eyes before confessing, "Peeta, I want you."

Peeta sighs and answers, "I know you do baby but I can't. I want you too. So badly right now." I manage to stop the sobs.

"Peeta?"

"Yeah Katniss?" He asks back.

"She also is wanting me to marry Gale." I hear silence his end. "But I don't want to, he's so annoying and a jerk." I explain.

"Katniss. You need to decline, you wouldn't be happy if you accepted it." He tells me.

"Exactly, that's what I'm going to do. Even if I get a bad punishment from mother." I say and murmur the last sentence.

"Katniss, what does she do?" Peeta asks and my mouth drops. I didn't want to tell him now.

"Sh-she -" I pause and close my eyes. "She abuses me."

"That's it. I'm coming over and confessing my love for you to her." he says angrily.

"Peeta no! We will get caught then and we won't be able to see each other." I retort.

"Fine, but I'm still going to come over. I love you, see you soon."

"Peeta -" I manage to say before he hangs up. I place my phone beside me and look at Poppy.

"How long until the Hawthorne's are expected here?"

"An hour, but they always come early so 45 minutes at the earliest." Poppy answers.

"I'll get ready and then see Peeta." I announced and stood up with my phone in hand.

"Katniss! You won't be able to go far." Poppy states and I nod before walking to my wardrobe.