"Well the rink is all yours," she told us, I nodded and headed onto the ice. Skating a few laps to warm up before doing random spins and jumps. From time to time, I'd pause to see Yue attempting some kind of jump but failing miserably.

Should I help him?

I feel like I should but...

He looks determined to do it alone...

"Uh--" I skated over to him as he just kind of sat on the ice, "do you need some help?"

He stared at me for a couple moments before nodding.

"You're trying to do a toe loop right?" I asked as I helped him back to his feet. He nodded.

"I can't get it right. I keep messing up the landing," he told me, I nodded and skated away from him a bit before asking him to do it.

Pushed from back outside edge of his right foot and lands on the back outside edge of his left. He's tripping over his own feet because he's landing wrong.

"You need to land on the same foot that you're pushing off of," I told him, he gave me a confused look, "did your teacher not tell you that you need to push off and land on the same foot?"

"He... didn't," Yue shook his head.

"What a great teacher you've got," I sighed, "Here. I'll show you what it's supposed to look like."

I pushed off, leading forward. I pushed off the back out of my (dominant side) foot and pulled my arms in, spinning and then landing back on the same foot, gliding forward slightly before pulling myself to a smooth stop.

"I'll give it a go," he nodded, his eyes hardened with determination, I smiled and nodded before moving out of his way and watching him try again... And again... And again... Until finally, he got it.

I smiled as he cheered to himself for his success.

"Thank you!" he beamed, "I actually did it!"

"Yeah you did," I nodded, smiling along with him.

°🥀°
A year later_

"So your competition is here?" I asked, looking up at the ice rink.

"Yeah but I think theres a speed skating thing on right now so mine won't be for another hour or so," Yue told me before suddenly being thrown forward as someone barrelled through him.

"Yue?!" I stared at his form just flat on the floor, a girl was nervously stood beside him.

"Oh my god! I am so so so sorry!" she exclaimed, "are you OK?! Am I OK?! Is anyone OK?! Holy shit. I'm so very late. I'm sorry!"

Suddenly she sprinted off and I looked looked off after her.

That was weird.

Hold on.

"Yue? You OK down there?" I asked, looking down at his form still flat on the floor.

"Just peachy," he replied, his voice muffled as he raised his hand up and gave me a thumbs up.

That was too comic like...

"Come on, let's get you up," I grabbed his hand and pulled him to his feet before we continued on into the ice rink, he disappeared to change into his costume and I found a seat.

By the time Yue had returned, the end of the race had come and the winner was being announced.

"The winner is Sugina Hirose (did I ever give her a surname, I can't remember)!"

"Hey.." I squinted at the girl being projected onto the screens around the arena, "isn't that the girl who basically tossed you to the floor?"

"Yeah!" Yue nodded, a frown painted on his face, "so she's a speed based skater? That..actually makes sense."

"Well considering she literally ran over you, I think it's perfect for her," I nodded as they had the reward ceremony and the ice began being resurfaced for the figure skaters.

°🥀°

"Oh hey," an energetic voice caught our attention as I was helping Yue stretch. Two skaters had already done their short programme and there was one on at the moment, Yue was next up.

"It's the girl from earlier," Yue pointed out as the girl bounced over to us.

"Yeah... I'm sorry about that," she laughed sheepishly, "I'm Sugina."

"Y/n," I nodded to her.

"And I'm Yue," Yue added on as he straightened himself out again, "you did really good earlier."

"Ah, I was slower than usual because I sprinted to the rink," Sugina replied awkwardly, "but thanks. Are you skating next?"

"Yeah," Yue nodded, his face suddenly paling, "I'm going to mess up on my salchow, I just know it."

"You won't," I shook my head, "I believe in you, Yue."

"Yeah! Me too!" Sugina beamed brightly. I chuckled and Yue let out a small sigh, relaxing as he shot us a small smile.

"Oh and that's a new record for the short programme! Hiso Ren really has bright his A-game today!"

Yue's breath hitched at that sound and I patted his shoulder.

"You've got this, Yue, I promise," I told him, he nodded and sighed, "go kick some figure skating ass."

"Right," he nodded as he walked past me and Sugina.

"Next up is Yue Awase (did he have a surname too? Jee I can't remember...), dancing to White Flag by Bishop Briggs."

°🥀°
Weeks later_

"Alright class, today we have a transfer student coming from Tokyo. Everyone welcome Sugina Hirose to the class," our homeroom teacher announced.

"That name sounds familiar," I heard Yue mumbled from behind me as the door opened and in walked that familiar speed-skating-knock-over-the-figure skater-in-her-way girl from the competition a few weeks ago.

"Hi. I'm Sugina. It's nice to meet you all~"