Chapter Forty-five

Before Eiichi could meet her lips, he felt two fingers on his lips. He opened his eyes in surprise. The reason was that he was going to kiss her even though they were not together at the moment. His surprise only increased when he saw Catarina looking away.

Catarina lightly said, "I think....I should get back to work.."

This was the first time Catarina had ever rejected any of his advances.

Eiichi had never seen her look so conflicted before. When he opened his mouth to apologize for trying to kiss her when he was the one who broke them off, she cut him off by speaking. And what she said greatly astonished him.

"I can't disappoint you any further."

"What....?" He whispered. What was she talking about? His mind was comprehending her statement.

"Catarina...? What..?"

"I-I'm sorry." She tried to get up but the tall brunette's hands gripped her arms, preventing her from going away.

"E-Eiichi. . ."

Eiichi asked, worry visible in his eyes, "Catarina,what's wrong?"

"...No-nothing." She didn't look at him and kept looking at the carpet.

"Look at me,angel."

"....."

"Look at me."

"....."

Finding no other choice, Eiichi pulled her close by the waist and lifted her chin. She wanted him to let her go but he was too strong for her to push.

"Eiichi. . .let me go," she whispered.

"At first tell me what's wrong," he solemnly said.

". . .It's nothing." She averted her gaze.

"Say that by looking into my eyes."

"Eiichi..." she tried to reason.

"I know you can't lie when you look into the eyes. That just shows how honest you are."

She bit her lower lip. He was right. She couldn't lie when looking while other's eyes, specially into his.

Despite her hesitation, the male continued, "You have been acting strangely. I noticed you haven't been smiling."

"...I am smiling."

"Fake. Those smiles are forced and false," he sternly told her while looking into her eyes. She could easily see the concern and seriousness in those lavender pair of eyes.

Catarina didn't have the strength to continue her mask of lies anymore. ". . . . How can I smile when I am surrounded by darkness?" Her pained whisper caught him off guard.

"Huh?"

Tears pooled at the corner of her eyes. "How can I smile when I'm not feeling happy?"

"Catarina, what-"

"How can I smile when you don't love me anymore?" She gulped the lump formed inside her throat.

"...what?" His eyes widened behind the frame of glasses.

A tear slipped from her eyes. "Why....did you leave me?"

He understood that she got the wrong impression. "Catarina,I-"

"Was it because I disappointed you?"

"Catarina-"

"I'm sorry, I-Mmf!!"