ᴛʜᴇ 4ᴘᴍ ʙᴏᴏᴋsᴛᴀᴄᴋs (ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴏɴᴇ)

Yashiro stared up at the mysterious girl who stood above her. She awkwardly laughed at her question. "Something like that.

The girl looked through some of the books Yashiro that stood by. "Hanako-san? The one that's like a cat."

Yashiro tried to imagine Hanako with cat ears, meowing. "Eh?"

The girl put her hands at the top of her head, making it look like the ears of a cat. Yashiro copied what she did with her free hand. "A cat?" Yashiro asked.

"Capricious," she continued, "selfish, and childish. Is yours like that too?"

Yashiro stood there, not able to really say anything. She didn't know Hanako as any of those things, so she was confused on what the girl talked about. Then she remembered something that she read in a manga. She came up with the wild conclusion that this had to be Hanako's girlfriend.

The girl began to walk off. "If you wish to know more about him, you should go see school mystery No. 5."

Yashiro put the books down on the table and went after her. "Wait!" As Yashiro chased after her, she bumped into someone, causing them to both crash to the floor.

"Hey!" he said. "You can't do that! Running in the library isn't-"

Yashiro didn't let him finish. She quickly shoved him out of the way and made her way to the entrance of the library. But she was too late. The girl that she saw was nowhere to be found.

"She's gone," Yashiro said, pathetically.

~ the next day ~

"The fifth of the eight mysteries?" Aoi asked, wiping off the chalkboard. "Yes, I've heard of it!"

"Really?!" Yashiro said. "S..So what's the rumor?!"

(Name) walked up to the two girls after hearing about them discussing about the rumors. "Hey you two. Gossiping about the rumors again?"

Aoi giggled. "I was just about to tell Yashiro about No. 5. Nene-chan sure does like these stories!"

Yashiro nervously laughed, knowing that wasn't the real reason she was always asking about the rumors.

"Alright, I'll tell you," Aoi said. "School mystery No. 5. The 4pm bookstacks. In this school's library, there's a special storeroom you can only enter at 4pm. The room is filled of books with peoples names. Each of these books contains a record of that person's life at this school.

"What they did here," she continued, "what they're going to do here. Past, present, future. It's all written the book."

"It's all recorded...?" Yashiro asked.

"Even things that haven't happened yet!" Aoi said. "Makes you curious, right?"

As she listened to the rest of the story, (Name) closely watched Yashiro. Anytime that she asked about a rumor, she usually ended up going to go check it out. It just worried (Name) a bit. Sure, there were thousands of people who went to the school and the chances of her book being found was slim... but considering her luck the past few days, the thought of Yashiro finding out the truth stayed stuck in her mind.