Chapter 55: Where Is Your Boy Tonight?

We've since gotten back home and it is now the most stressful week of my life. Every time the thought of exams find their way to the forefront of my mind, my heart seems to beat faster and my throat constricts, my hands start pulsating and I can't shake the butterflies in my stomach. Now that it is exam week and I'm laying in bed beside Gerard the night before my first exam, my body sinking into the warm silky sheets, I can't find sleep. My mind wanders with self assessment of my own knowledge. I have English first and I don't have the slightest clue of what could possibly be on the exam. I might have to write an essay or something which I'm not very fond of or good at. I feel a sudden urge to turn to face Gerard so I give into the urge and flip over, shaking the bed considerably. Gerard moves his hand up on the pillow slightly but doesn't seem too bothered by my movements. I feel the clock staring holes into my back as it ticks away slowly; its hands sliding around in a circle, keeping me trapped in the agony of waiting for school. The sheets crumple as I push them off of me. The cool air of the room hits my exposed skin as I throw my legs over the bed and feel the heat of my hand moving over my face as I wipe my eyes. The tiled floor feels icy beneath my toes as I tip toe out of the room, trying to avoid waking Gerard. Another clock catches my gaze and distress crashes inside of me like a wave. I take a deep breath and try to let the air calm the waves inside. I raid Gerard's cupboards looking for tea but find none at all. There's a convenience store just a block away. Would they have some? I don't have anything better to do with my time and the distraction might be helpful.

The cold air that bites into my skin raises the hair on my arms and on the back of my neck and freezes the tip of my nose. The snow crunches beneath my weight as I shift towards the store. The street lights reflect off the snow, giving the night an eerie iridescence. I hear a few hollers and I pick up my pace heading towards the store. I practically rip the heavy door open and take a deep breath the second I get inside. I breathe into my hands to warm them up and shake the anxiety from my bones before beginning my search for tea. The off white lights flicker in response to every breath I take. The smell of mold and mildew rises to tickle my senses and I purse my lips in response. I pass through the aisles slowly, checking and rechecking the merchandise.  Near the coffee is a tiny section of tea that I nearly overlook. Due to the limited variety, I grab one green tea and one chamomile seeing as they're the only two there. I head up to the counter with my tea and greet the cashier. His eyesight must be poor as he's squinting to look at me.

I check the back wall for the cheapest pack of cigarettes and ask for two packs of them.

"ID please," the man asks, his voice deep and powerful. I fumble for my wallet and slide my ID out. I go to put the card on the counter when I feel warmth wrap around my waist and a raspy voice fill my ear as the man speaks. Fear breaks through my mental gate and fills my mind until my vision is fuzzy and I see black spots.

"I'll take care of whatever he wants. How much will it be?" The voice belongs to Gerard and the mountain of fear that had built up seems to be crashing down. I take a deep breath and relax my muscles that I hadn't realized were so tense. Gerard puts a few dollars on the counter and picks up the bag in which my items had been placed. He kisses the back of my neck before letting me go and walking towards the door, his heels clacking against the ground. The bell on the door rings as he swings open the door and holds it open for me. I hadn't noticed the sound when I came in but it rings through my head as I leave.  I begin to walk down to the sidewalk when Gerard calls my name. I turn around and see him pointing towards his salt covered black car.

"You lazy sack of shit," I say with a dry laugh as I head towards the vehicle.

"Maybe I won't drive you if you think I'm a sack of shit," he shouts with a smirk present on his smug face. I take a little detour and walk over towards Gerard. My fingers run up his arm and feel the hair stand on edge. I stand on the tips of my toes and kiss his cheek.