Chapter 56: Kiss The Ring

When my eyes adjust to the blinding light and the fuzziness in my head somewhat subsides, I'm able to see that the person standing in front of me is indeed Bert. His stance doesn't seem at all menacing with the way he's leaning onto one foot more than the other with a look of genuine concern for my wellbeing present on his face. Cold air beats against my skin from the open window behind Bert. His eyes twinkle with penitence and dismay as he clears his throat, preparing to speak.

"He can't know what I need to tell you. If Gerard knew I was talking to you right now, he'd kill me, I have no doubt about that. I don't know what lies he may have told you about me but I assure you that I did nothing to him. He flipped out at me because I told the cops that he scared me with his... Intensity," Bert says, gripping his arm tightly as though recalling difficult memories. I would reply but my throat hurts and my tongue is sandpaper against my lips. His feet drag against the concrete as he approaches me. Fear engulfs like an out of control fire in my chest as his hand reaches towards me.

"Give me your hand," he orders but his tone remains calm. Slowly, I reach my fingers towards him and he grabs my hand. He helps me to my feet before sliding the ring off my finger.

"What are you-?" I ask as the air is cut by the ring flying out of the only window I see in the room.

"Hey!" My heart drops as the ring disappears and I swallow the lump in my throat. It's gone. The ring is gone. My teeth grind together, my jaw clenched, I force my eyes shut and fight back tears and anger.

"Get up," Bert orders, his tone stern, alarming. I force my legs to straighten and I stand on wobbly feet. Dizziness fills my head at the slight movement and I'm about to be kissing the ground. Bert moves to my aid and helps me stand up.

"When you feel up to it, I want you to go back home and if you see Gerard, don't tell him any of what I just told you, he'll pretend it's not true," Bert proposes. I nod my head slightly and take a deep breath. He walks me to the front door of the building and only then do I realize that I am completely lost beyond belief.

"I'll drive you back to Gerard's, don't worry," Bert says, opening the door and allowing the warmth of the sun to hit my skin and warm it slightly before we step outside and that warmth disappears into the cold winter day. Bert let's me go and leads me towards his car. I get into the passenger side of the car and put my seatbelt on. He gets in and starts the car, the ground moving under the wheels as we start moving. The car crunching in the snow and dirt of the ground. I lean my head against the frozen window and watch the heat from inside the car melt the icy frosting on the window.

"Here's your phone," Bert says, holding my cell phone in his hand. I take it from him and check the screen, seeing 20 missed calls and 5 missed texts, all from Gerard except two, which belong to Ryan.

I call Gerard back immediately and he picks up, his voice frantic.

"Where are you? Are you okay?" He shouts at me.

"I'm on my way home. Got sidetracked. How long was I?"

"I don't know, like 3 maybe 4 hours. What did you get sidetracked doing?"

"Checking out animals at the pet store. Didn't realize it took me so long," I blurt out, the lie complete bullshit but it was the best I could come up with on the spot.

"I even called Ryan to figure out where you were but even he didn't know. Why didn't you answer?"

"I had my sound off. Sorry. I'll be home in like a minute and we can talk then," I say frantically and I hang up before he can say anything else.

Bert drops me off and reminds me to think about what he said but not mention anything to Gerard and drives away. I run up the creaking staircase to our apartment and basically burst through the door.