Chapter 1

Atty. Madison Ivery Gozar Del Russo

Present day...

There are many types of criminals in this world but I usually encounter the two types: The one who's proud of the sick and vile shit that they did or the one who's regretful but either way they are still going to jail and that's where people like me come in. Criminal lawyers. We are equipped with knowledge that we certainly earned and cried about for four good years in law school and study day and night to pass the bar to defend people like them.

Although, In my case, I don't help either of those types of criminals that I mentioned above. Never in my fucking life. I went into this profession to help people and try to lessen injustices in this faulty system. I certainly don't help rich people to get away with murder but I do charge them if they need my services and if they're really innocent. I help the wrongfully accused and incarcerated....for free. They are my pro-bono cases.

"All rise for the honorable Judge Fransisca Esperon." The bench clerk said. We all stood as respect.

A woman in her forties walked in her black silk gown. She sat down on her bench and gave the plaintiff panels and us, the defendant panel a brief look before she spoke.

"Thank you, you may now be seated."

Inayos ko ang aking coat nang umupo na kami. Bumaling ako sandali kay Ms. Hernandez, my client to give her a reassuring look. Her pale lips formed a timid smile and dropped her gaze on her cuffed hands. She was found at the scene of the crime that's why she was taken into custody right away. She was given a public attorney but she asked for me that's why we're here.

Alam ko na inosente siya kaya kinuha ko ang kaso niya. Before I represent someone I make sure that they are not guilty, I obtain evidence and fact check her/his story before I dive in.

"The court is now in session, we call on the case number 01123, Mondragon versus Diana Hernandez, Manslaughter."

Si Ms. Diana Hernandez ay isang single mother at kasambahay ng pamilya Mondragon. Isang araw, nagta-trabaho siya at natagpuan niya ang kanyang among lalaki na si Pedro Mondragon, nakahandusay at naliligo sa sariling dugo sa kanyang opisina dahil sa saksak sa puso. There were four stab wounds to the heart and a slit to the carotid artery, that's why he bled to death. Natagpuan ni Ms. Hernandez ang biktima at sinubukang tanggalin ang kutsilyo at pigilan ang dugo, hoping that it would somehow help but instead it just made her the culprit. It looked like she was the one who stabbed him.

Now, that's not what the evidence is showing. The evidence is showing that she was guilty and I'm here to prove that she is infact innocent and got framed. I glanced at my interns in the courtroom. We made sure that Ms. Hernandez will walk today from a life sentence.

I crossed my legs and sighed inwardly. The smell of wood and the feel of tension in the air are all familiar. After a moment, Nagsimula nang magbigay ng open statement ang kabilang kampo and then us.

"Counsel Beronya, you may now call your first witness." Sabi ng Hukom sa abugado ng magkapatid.

"Aubrey Mondragon will be on the stand, your honor."

Nakasuot ng itim ang babae na sa tingin ko ay nasa mid 20s. She's holding a cloth to wipe her tears. Pumasok na siya sa stand at nagsimulang manumpa.

I will roast and break this bitch in front of everybody.

The trial went on for hours without break. My heart is hammering in my chest. This is the first day of the trial and I'm sure as hell this would be the last day dahil na-ipresenta na namin ang mga solid na ebidensya at nasabon ko ang mga witness nila. I broke them and basically made them admit that they set this poor woman up. How do I know that? Well. They planned to kill their father. I know, it's sick and vile but there are people who exist like that. And so, they did it and planted the evidence so it could point out to the poor woman and they can get away with it at makuha ang mana nila nang walang kahati. It worked at the beginning dahil siya ang nahuli ng mga pulis at hindi agad nasuspetyahan na ang magkapatid ang gumawa..but they didn't know how good I am at this game.