Chapter 14

Nova

He settled down on the soft grass, resting his back against the tree. I walked towards him slowly and hesitantly. He kept his eyes on me all the time, observing my every movement. His eyes didn't flicker for a second, as he gazed at me without any expression.

"So...now what?" I asked trying to break the awkward silence.

He held my wrist and in a swift motion pulled me towards him, so that I was now sitting on his lap. I panicked and wriggled, trying to get up, but he gripped my hips with both of his hands, preventing me from moving.

"Don't move, or I won't be responsible for what I might do next" he said seriously, his eyes darkening every passing second.

I stayed still. But on the inside I was nervous and excited. Various reactions were exploding inside my body from being in close proximity with him. I could not look into his eyes and meet his intense gaze, so I looked down at my hands. I'm sure my face would have turned beet red by now. He held my chin and slowly turned my face towards him.

"Now... I'll kiss you" he said deeply, answering my question. I let out a loud gasp and my eyes widened in surprise. He chuckled at my reaction and said,

"Now, ask any question, love" he whispered leaning close to my ear, his lips almost touching my earlobe, making me shiver slightly.

I thought for a moment. I wanted to ask about his past, about the vultures and stuff like that, but I decided to play safe. So I asked the most common question.

"Um, what is your favourite colour?"

He looked amused, but replied "Emerald"

"Ohh" I managed to say.
Has that got anything to do with my eyes?
Uh, Maybe no.

"Have you been with any man before?" he asked suddenly. I internally rolled my eyes. Of course, he had to ask about that.

"Plenty of men" I grinned and he tensed up. He clenched his jaw and his eyes turned dark.

"Lighten up! I was kidding. I've never been with anyone before" I said quickly, before he lost control and turned back into Angry Nicholas. He visibly relaxed and unclenched his jaw.

"Good" he muttered and continued "If I see you with any other man I won't think twice before snapping his neck" he said seriously.

"I'm pretty sure it won't come down to that" I said slightly shifting under his intense gaze.

He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer and now my head was resting on his chest. I could hear his steady heartbeat syncing with my own. Then, I realised I was still sitting on his lap. I felt anxious, when he started trailing kisses down my neck. What if he tries anything or takes advantage of me? We were deep inside the woods and no one could hear me even if I scream at the top of my lungs.

"Can I get off your lap?" I asked and he tensed up again. I quickly began to explain,
"Please, I just don't want to crush your thighs. I'm pretty sure I weigh like a ton" I nervously chuckled.

"You are light as a feather, princess. Besides, your dress may get ruined if you sit on the muddy ground" he said in a deep voice laced with concern.
But, as if he had read my thoughts, he gently put me down on the ground, beside him.

Oh! He cared about the stupid dress and here I thought he just wanted to take advantage of me. I felt a little guilty for being too judgy. I decided to ask another question.

"Nicholas, at what age did you get crowned as The King?" I asked out of the blue.

He stared at me with a blank face, without saying anything for a while. Maybe, I shouldn't have asked him about that.